Onkyo TX-SR308 configuration and listening modes

RJVB

We recently got ourselves a pair of Klipsch RB-51, driven by an Onkyo TX-SR308 A/V amp, for use at my partner's place. Main source is a computer connected over HDMI (using the TV/CD input), main usage is (classical) music listening. The computer (HP G62) has an ATI graphics/sound card, set at 96kHz/24 bits.

I'm not completely sure about the amp's set-up, and the differences between its various listening modes.

The speaker specs mention a cross-over frequency of 2000Hz. Either that's a typo (it seems very high for the tweeters to kick in in any case), or it's not the same cross-over frequency as can be configured on the amp (which seems to be related to an optional -and unnecessary- subwoofer). The amp's manual suggests one might go as low as 80Hz on (small) speakers with a good bass reproduction  I set it at the RB-51's low limit, 50Hz.

Would that be correct?

As to the listening modes: the manual lists a whole slew of them, but in practice I only found 4, presumable because the others don't apply to our set-up (?): theater-dimensional (on Onkyo thing), Direct, Game and Stereo. I can't find any explanation about the Game mode; the T-D mode apparently uses Dolby PL-II but without mentioning which of the 3 versions. According to the manual, the Direct mode does take the speaker config into account but not the rest of the possible processing ... and the Stereo mode is just mentioned as appropriate for playing stereo sources over 2 speakers.

It's near impossible to determine the difference between the Stereo and Direct modes: we think we hear something, but that could be auto-suggestion. I rather like the T-D mode, esp. for lower/background listening levels as it makes the stereo image more spatial, but my partner seems to be right saying that certain frequencies/voices are harder to hear.

Thoughts, anyone? I realise that in the end it's probably a matter of personal taste and circumstances, but I'd like to know what I'm getting when I push a button :)

The speaker specs mention a cross-over frequency of 2000Hz. Either that's a typo (it seems very high for the tweeters to kick in in any case), or it's not the same cross-over frequency as can be configured on the amp (which seems to be related to an optional -and unnecessary- subwoofer).

The 2000Hz crossover to the horn tweeter is correct. Remember, with a 2-way speaker, the woofer and the tweeter handle the mids and you do not want either to be at it's frequency limit at crossover point. Klipsch engineers choose the best crossover frequency that will not put any undo stress(distortion) on either the woofer or tweeter so they can safely operate up to or down to the crossover point.

The amp's manual suggests one might go as low as 80Hz on (small) speakers with a good bass reproduction — I set it at the RB-51's low limit, 50Hz. Would that be correct?

Question, do you have a subwoofer with this system? If not, you will select "no subwoofer" in the setup menu. With that setting, no need to set any crossover point in the receiver.

If you are using a subwoofer, I think you will achieve better sound quality if you set the receivers crossover for the RB-51's at a minimum of 60Hz and probably at the suggested 80Hz. You want there to be an overlap at the crossover point so you do not lose any frequency(information) or noticeable volume at that point.

Bill

No, there's no subwoofer, and the amp was configured that way. So this is another point where the manual could have been clearer: it wasn't clear to me that the crossover setting is ignored in absence of a subwoofer.

Thanks for clearing that up (and if we'd had a subwoofer, I'd indeed have kept the setting at 80Hz - I only went lower out of fear that I was filtering out the lowest frequencies).