Tube newb question on the Blueberry phono stage 12AT7's - do they have to be matched?

Dmitry

My Blueberry Xtreme phono stage started to produce significant white noise / hiss, and the volume/gain had to be turned up all the way to get a decent volume. I switched the stock 12AT7s and the 12AX7 tube to the ones I had in my old Bogen reciever. There was an immediate improvement in sound. I don't have a tube tester, so I don't know which one of the stock tubes was going kaput. Does it matter that the 12AT7 tubes I pulled out of the Bogen are from different manufacturers? One is Sylvania and the other is Bogen-branded.

Brand makes no difference functionally. Of course, folks argue all day over which tubes sound better.

If you change out only one tube at a time, you'll find which one is bad.

I'm playing around with my BBX today, too. The wooden case got a little worn/dried out in the sun, so I sanded the top and put on a few coats of General Finishes' Arm-R-Seal. Works great, looks maahh-veous.

EDIT: The sheen is a tad more with the Arm-R-Seal satin. The wood tone is a perfect match.

Good advice. In my house, there are windows, and the BBX sits in front of one. It would be wise to shade it. Maybe I'll get it some Ray Bans (or mix Bullfrog into the final coat of Arm-R-Seal).

Or were you refering to Will Geer, who played Grandpa on The Waltons? I'm pretty sure he's well-shaded at the moment.