Full function tube (SS?)preamp or LS preamp with outboard phono?

Audio Flynn

I have a little money to spend so after a couple year layoff for a significant 2 channel purchase, I want to add another nice preamp.

The idea is my Scott 208 with modded Chorus IIs for my alternate 2 channel system with a new preamp.

In some posts around the web I see serious guys having a nice SS or tube line stage with a Lehman black cube or other non tube phono section. Grado, and Musical Fidelity are options. There is the Bottlehead Seduction on the tube phono side.

I have been looking at various older tube CJ full function preamps, Audio Research SP series and the like.

I am also open to a good SS preamp but have not reseached and heard many good ones. Accuphase? I have an ealy 80s Hafler that is only Ok but butt ugly. ;) I would like to do better than the Hafler and at least as good as my CJ.

Even if you have never heard one you have researched I am open to all ideas. Not too interested in MAC; or Bluberry since I had one for several years.

Used budget is $ 800 -1300 (tops if it is really sweet)