La Scala and Sansui AU D11

2sick2pray

I'm looking to buy both as an upgrade , however I'm worried about the Sansui being to strong or harsh as I can't get the two together until I've bought them. Any experience with this combo would be much appreciated. One other option for me was to look at Crites Cornscalas. Thanks for the help in advance 2S2P

More power is always safer and better than less. I ran my Forte ll with an AUD ll Mk ll which was rebuilt and modified by John Wright of Museatex to have a mosfet output stage instead of the stock transistor output. The AUD ll is a stunning amplifier with ultra low distortion, lower than most folks have ever heard. The Sansui should sound fantastic on your La Scalla's. Keep us posted as to your findings. Best regards Moray James.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Moray : Got the D11 mkii and just as you said,stunning! I was never expecting that much difference to my Denon. It's like I am in a new league. You did a Mosfet output and did that improve things, I can't even imagine.I'm still waiting for all my parts from BEC so I can get my KG's going again and see how they perform. Anyhoe thanks for all the support Moray. Paul Lawtey

Paul the electronics work was done by John wright of Museatex. The mosfet ouput has the benefit of not ever getting into thermal run away as transistors do. The amp sounds excellent. It is hard to believe that this unit was designed and built in the early 1980's ultra low distortion with control and sudden inpactas they say. I can say that these are not the nicest amps to work on. I don't know if John want to wade into another one. I know that John took out a lot of the protection circuitry which was necessary with the transistor output but not so with the mosfet output so a big improvement there. It's a keeper amp for sure so at some point get the caps replaced so you don't run into trouble. Glad to hear that you are pleased with the amp. Best regards Moray James.