2ch Old or New?

A few newbe questions on two channel with a center. I have a budget of 5-6K

My problem is do I update my HT receiver to a new Denon and use my old Denon ARV 5800 for the 2 channel or buy some vintage McIntosh for the 2 channel project.

What I have to work with KSP-400's, LaScalas K-horns, Mirage Sub, Sony SACD and the ARV5800

I don’t have any vinyl to speak of anymore and pretty much only play cd’s SACD’s and DVD’sWhat I’m lookin at Mcintosh MC 2255 and a C28 or a Denon ARV-5308cia

If I go with the 5800 and the K-Horns I would like to try using a LaScala as a center. How would this be wired? If I go with the C28 it has a center out what I don’t know is does it require its own amp or is there a built in center amp in the c28? The MC 2255 is only two channel.

TIA for any input.

Just as a personal opinion I would keep the old Denon and get the old Mac rig together. BUT!!!! At the age the Mac equipment will be in I would strongly suggest getting it/them updated with new caps, etc. to get the most and best sound from them that they USED to make when they were new. It may take a month or two but I would send the pieces you find to Terry DeWick in Tennessee.

The C28 is just a preamp and the center output does need to be amplified before it goes to the center speaker. Some two channel amps can be bridged to be used as a mono center or I have even ran just the right channel of an amp for center duty. The Marantz MA 500 & 700 are good inexpensive monoblocks and readily available.

I would recommend using the LaScala as the center with the two Khorns. That is an awesome set up if your space allows. I think you have a very good sized budget to get what you want given you already have such good speakers. If it were me I would spend some of the loot on new cross overs for the the Khorns and Lascala, since you have the money buy all new and pull the original ones out and save them.

Then I would shop around for 3 mono blocks and a preamp with a center out. (preferable tubes!)

That would be a killer system!

I’m only going to try the LaScala if I like it the plan would be buy one new Cornwell or pair of Heresy’s in unfinished birch so they can be finished to match the K-Horns that also are unfinished at this time. I will look to the used market first but can’t image I get lucky twice. Of course that is IF and that’s a big IF I like the 400’s for HT I’m only using the subs at this time.

I did the Crites cross and tweeter up grade on the LaScalas last month and liked the result so I have on order the same for the K-Horns. If I go with something like the C28 and three mono blocks do all three need service or just the C28?

Any idea on a ball park it upgrade old tube gear? I can live with the time factor good hell I have had them over a week now and there just sitting talking to Santa waiting for their date with the refinisher latter this month.

Thanks for the input it’s about what I thought I would hear. Sure would be nice to do both the Mac and Denon but then I would need to give up the Simpson pinball, some lines cannot be crossed…LOL

Looking around E-bay

when you say 3 mono blocks and a preamp with a center out. (preferable tubes!)

The Marantz MA 500 & 700 are solid state? So you’re just recommending a tube Pre-Amp?

They are affordable buy all six, can they be bridged?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marantz-MA-500-Power-Amplifier-mono-block-/250799065806?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a64ca0ace

I was just giving you options. It is debatable if the tubes are more important for the preamp or the amp stage of reproduction. And definately keep all the amps all SS or all tubes.

I think it would be preferable to have all tubes but that can get very pricey and is also something of a matter of taste. A set up with a C28 and Marantz monoblocks all solid state is affordable and pretty easy to find. A used set of tube monoblocks is harder to find and much more $.

If I remember right you can bridge the Marantz MA700 but I don't think you need that much juice for the Khorns or LaScala's.

I should also add that I am using a Marantz MA700 as the center channel amp hooked to a tube Scott integrated. So I don't have all channels amplified with tubes and it still sounds great. I would prefere to have all tubes though and also to have separates. But Santa hasn't come to my house yet with those little gems.