KG 4.2 replacement

CrashHouse

Hi,

I'm a very enthusiastic user of the KG 4.2 I bought new in 1994. I took them to 4 different places while moving.So the last time I moved them with me to The Netherlands Antilles too. When I initially bought them, I used a Rotel pre and power amp. Due to a brief moment of misguidance, I used them with a Maranz SR91 5.1 receiver. Cause 5.1 is not my thing, I changed back to 2.0, using them with a Marantz PM7200.

Now I'm building my own Class D amp based on the TK2050 chip. I tried the simple Sure 2x100W tk2050 and was pleasantly surprised with the sound quality in combination with the KG4.2's. The amp I'm building now uses a higher quality configuration of components and power supply (torroidial).

I won't be bringing the KG4.2 back to Holland because they are starting to wear. So now I'm looking for new nice replacement speakers for the KG4.2 with same or better sound quality.

So who is familiar with the KG4.2 and is able to advise me?

Ryan

I have had a pair of KG 4.2 since new and love them! If you are looking to upgrade a little and want to go vintage, look for a pair of Forte or Forte II. They are similar to the 4.2's with a little better bass extension and a slightly more natural soundstage. But if you can afford them, check out the new RF-7 II's. They are absolutely astounding! I have not heard the other new RF series, but I would think the RF-82 II would also be a good replacement for a much lower price.

Hi;

If you are looking for 2nd hand, Marktplaats is a good place to start. If 2-way is your thing, there are a few pairs of RF-7 or RF-82 on, if you want 3 way, there's like 5 sets of LaScalas and a pair of Cornwalls.

While some people bought RF-7 to replace their Fortes and were very impressed, others did quite the opposite thing and love that midrange horn.

You'd do well to listen to a few and decide for yourself.