KHorns Upgrade Project: Replacing Squawker & Tweeter drivers & boards. Adding Custom CD Cabinets acting as False Walls

LeoG

Hello Guys,

I've finally got through it this past weekend, and happy to share the photo diary:

Some comments:
1. I've used ALK Research (http://www.alkeng.com/) crossover boards (AP12-AK3 + ES5800
combo) and Fastlane Audio (http://mysite.verizon.net/res12il11/id105.html) horns &
grills. Many thanks to Al and Dave for the enjoyment!
2. The replacement drivers are as follows: B&C DCM50-8 squawker (on top of the custom-built Fastlane horn) and the Selenium D200TI tweeter (purchased together with the matchning Selenium horn - Dave has prepared the mounting board & holes for these).
3. To avoid damaging the wall, and also to prevent vibration transmission to the false walls (custom-made narrow CD cabinets on each side - see last picture), I have covered all rear surfaces with a 1/2" weatherstrip (self-adhesive on one side) that is available at any home store like Home Depot or Lowe's, seems to do the job well, and is very easy to install.
4. The side CD cabinets were custom-made on order, and their depth is ~42" to provide an adequate false-wall effect. Overall, the sound has improved dramatically compared to standalone operation, and these false walls work no worse than real ones.
5. I have tried the upgraded KHorns with two tube-based amplifiers: Manley Stringray (first edition) and the Audio Research VSi60 temporary loaned from the dealer. While both work very well, I favor VSi60 for several reasons:
a) It doesn't produce ANY background noise even with the super-sensitive KHorns, while with the Stingray you can hear hissing from the squawker and tweeter, even though it is not too intrusive.
B) The VSi60 produces (in my view, of course) a better sound resolution and a richer, more natural, fuller and uniform sound on challenging recordings, such as Bach's organ works. Also, while with the Stingray you get a good presense feeling on, say, live Ben Webster recordings, with the VSi60 this presence transforms into a soundstage full of minor, realistic details...
... Going to check out the Pathos hybrid amplifier soon to make the final choice...