Wounded KG4's ( Sound Horrible )

2sick2pray

Need help Please. I accidently crossed my connects while the amp was live( my dumbass ) Amp is fine, however kg's are not. They sound like someone threw a towel over them. I was able to do a high frequency test and able to hear up to 14 khz, but very weak. Any ideas what I damaged as I'm some what isolated from any technical help. Thanks in advance.

Need help Please. I accidently crossed my connects while the amp was live( my dumbass ) Amp is fine, however kg's are not. They sound like someone threw a towel over them. I was able to do a high frequency test and able to hear up to 14 khz, but very weak. Any ideas what I damaged as I'm some what isolated from any technical help. Thanks in advance.

Yeouch. Sounds painful.

I recommend removing each driver and checking it with a meter.

Also; visually inspect the Xover from each speaker. (I do not have the specs for the crossover to check them; but I am sure someone will be along with more helpful info than I have).....

If you are lucky; you will wind up replacing capacitors only in the Xover. ( A visual inspection often can show you what is burned or damaged).

I think this is the most likely culprit......

Good Luck. Posting pics of anything you see out of the ordinary will help......

Irosave is probably right in that you have taken out or damaged a cap in the tweeter section. IIRC they are two 2uf plastic caps and they are cheap to replace. Easiest way to check is to swap tweeters. If the problem follows the tweeter then you have burned the voice coil so just buy a new one there are used one available here on the forum for cheap. If the problem stays with the speaker it will be one or both of the two yellow plastic 2 uf caps in the tweeter section and they are cheap and easy to change as long as you have a soldering iron or have a friend do it. Good luck best regards Moray James.