SPL Meter

kde

Regarding the SPL for the sub... what db do I set it at? The same as the speakers? For some reason I could get my speakers to 75, but I could only get my subs to 72 or 73 and then maxed out for the adjustment I could give. Does this mean that I need to give more power to the sub from the amp to make it louder? When I had the sub at 73 dbs it was too much bass.

How are you setting the sub, you may need to set it higher at the amp or the sub itself so as not to max out the adjustment on the processor.

When I set my sub I set it a couple db's higher than the rest of my speakers, I think I used 80db for all my speakers and 82 db for the sub. Since I can control my sub with my remote control I can lower the subs volume to match my speakers for music and leave it the 2 db higher for HT using my remote. (it's actually done automatically with my remote macro settings)

But systems vary and it sounds like matching your other speakers is giving you more bass than you want.

What do you specifically mean -- how I set my sub with the processor? Do you mean in the onscreen settings when you go to menu, etc? I guess it was set at whatever level it set when I did the microphone set up. I assume my next steps would be to turn up the sub in my onscreen settings and then retry the SPL to set it to 75 like my other speakers -- then I'll play with the tweaks.

New question -- if a professional would come to my house (haven't considered this, and likely won't)... would they be doing the same thing I am with the SPL? Maybe with just a better SPL? I guess they would check placement, etc and maybe also advise on room acoustics.

Can you turn up the subs volume at the sub itself or its amp? I mean not at the UMC-1, if you can this will help so it is not maxed out at the UMC-1's volume settings.

Unless you do not have the time or don't enjoy playing with and learning about your system, I wouldn't recommend a professional, but then this is my hobby I enjoy doing things myself.