Hiss in Reference Series with Denon 3802

KyleY

Hey all,

Sorry for posting this twice - I wasn't sure which forum it was more appropriate for... I now have my Denon 3802 plus Klipsch reference series (RF3 II) 5.1 set (no sub yet though). Anyway, when playing CDs through my DVD player's optical output (or my old CD player's RCA output), I hear hiss (or static?) at moderately high volumes (starts around -22 on the volume dial). It's enough to make me sick that I spent this much money and have hiss / static to deal with. I hear the hiss in all 5 speakers (or both fronts when in regular stereo mode). It's most noticable during quiet / silent parts of the CD tracks. Any idea what the problem may be and what I can do to fix it?

Could it be a power issue? I had an old powerstrip, but now I'm using an RCA "home theater" power strip that has a noise filter, etc. Probably not ideal, but I didn't notice any difference with it (and only my DVD player and receiver plugged into it). I have tried with no other components turned on (TV, etc.).

Could it be the Denon? If so, what should I do? Contact Denon?

Could it be speaker wires? I'm using 14 guage wire from Home Depot (I know, not great stuff). I may get some good wire to try, but I'm afraid that's not it. Aside from the static at higher volumes (it can still go way higher), it sounds very good.

When watching a DVD, I didn't notice the hiss, but I wasn't listening for it as much then...

This system is all brand new, and I've just been testing it out. I think I even heard a few pops and clicks as well, but that may have been my imagination... Thanks in advance for advice,

--Kyle

The hiss you are hearing is normal as long as its not overpowering in listening. But during silence or really quite patches you will hear it. Its one of a few of drawbacks to klipschs ultra high effieceny drivers. A small hiss you wouldnt hear in a dome tweeter is now loud enough to hear thanks to the horns better efficency. As for the pops i assume this is while watching DVDs probably at the start of the movie and in the menus. This is a product of your DVD its fairly common for a player or reciever to send out a small pop when switching surround sound modes. You can get setups that dont have hiss or pop but you would have payed much more than you did for your denon. Basically its not the speakers its your reciever making the hiss and its normal unless its very loud.

kyle, u might also notice the hiss lessens some when you switch to a sound mode like stereo that doesn't use the receiver's processors. though may not be the case so much with denon as it was w/ my old lower level sony

a/v receiver. but may be a way to isolate the source of the noise for the sake of knowledge.

but yea with klipsch it's always going to be there to some degree. shouldn't be a biggy when the material's playing.

------------------

My Home Systems Page