Image S4 reliability? recurring issue with

Yoshimano

Klipsch's reputation has grown because of both the quality of the products it designs and their reliability.

Indeed, this was my feeling last year, when I decided to join it's community of customers getting my own pair of Image S4 headphones.

I bought them on the internet and was really pleased with the sound, especially the stereo image. Was stunned me the most was the effiency of the seal, as it really rolled off ambient noise and allowed even bass frequencies to be heard even in noisy environments.

This far, I had all reasons to be satisfied with my purchase. However, I soon encountered a problem I was definitely trying to get rid of: the terrible headphones-single-channel death: the right channel brutally stopped working, for no apparent reason. The seller immediately replaced the headphones and I since I got them back I have been using them for a little less than on year until yesterday. Yesterday, that damn problem occured again. And I'm beginning to seriously wonder whether the headphones are "factory-corrupted" and Klipsch's craftsmanship is to be questionned or if I was just really unlucky.
Whatever, this is unacceptable to me and I'm at a loss with what to do. I can't even inspect the inside of those unmoutable earphones to check if there's a disconnected wire or something..
So all kind of help would be really appreciated and ifyou have experienced the same problem with the image S4 or any other product from the "Image" series, please feel welcome to talk about it here.

• 2 weeks later...

My second pair of S4i:s broke today (I bought a pair that broke, got replaced and now this pair is broken as well), I must say I'm very disappointed since I've treated both pairs very carefully. I will buy my next pair of headphones from another manufacturer.

What else can we say except it sucks? That's exactly the same that thing that I described before..!
The worst in it is I can't find anything else that matches the perfect seal of the earbuds and I really like the sound of the S4..
So will I have to buy the same pair every year? That's not exactly my idea of high-end products..
And even if I bought the praised X10, what can assure me it won't happen with that model? Anyway, the idea of having to give up with the S4 is unbearable to me.

• 3 weeks later...

My Image S4 sound Great and are working perfect. I was shocked how good the bass and treble is after having expensive over the ear head phone for 3 times the cost. I expected these to be just a little better then the apple ear pods that came with my Ipod Classic 5th gen 80gb. BIG difference in sound, my guess having them In your ear vs "Cans) over the ear makes a Big difference in a 60 year old guy that has been to one too many Rock concerts back in the day :-) So far mine have worked perfect.

The S4i score good results in reviews and test since they have an excellent fit and sound great. What is not tested is build quality since that takes a while to show. I've had two pairs and the exact same problem twice: both seams where the the cables enter the headphones broke after about six months, which isn't that big a deal since they still work. Three months later I've dropped sound in one ear (again for both pairs I've owned).

With these problems I can't recommend the S4i to my friends. Please come back here in 6-12 months and share your view then as well.

Thanks for your input Morberg,

that's a relief when you feel you're not the only one and understand you're probably not so much responsible when your favourite Klipsch pair of earphones died!

And as you wisely said, it's not really doable to review a pair of headphones on their reliability after only a couple of days. So you're all welcome to provide you own feedback about your own Klipsch earphones for everyone to get a more realistic picture of their quality.

I have owned these for more then a couple of days, but not as long as you 2. BUT I did purchase a pair for our Grand Daughter last year as I have owned Klipsch home speakers for 30 plus years. Our Grand Daughter (15) does NOT jerk them out of her ears by the wires(ANYMORE). I explained this to her Last Year when I saw her doing this to the Sony she broke the year before as I purchased them for her. Her Klipsch are still doing just fine after all these months.....the reason I purchased me a set after I purchased a new Yamaha AVR that came with a Ipod docking station so I finally purchased a Ipod Classic. I noticed you are new here and are welcome to post what ever you wish (with in the forum rules) but for you to Guess how long......... never mind.

"I noticed you two are new here and are welcome to post what ever you
wish (with in the forum rules) but for you to Guess how long these have
been tested in the family shows me you must be you have much to learn
about life."

M. Bartay,

You must be older than me if you're old enough to have a grand daughter and have owned items for more than thirty years.

This is the reason why I wouldn't like to show disrespect to you. However, I have serious doubts about taking your earphones out of your ears as a proof of how good you're living your life. Thus, even from someone whose respectable age may give him the feeling he's entitled to do so, I do not have to be told what I have to learn from life from someone I don't know at all.

Moreover, I have never taken my earphones violently out of my ears and never while holding them by the wire. Since I already have a beloved grandfather who already taught me himself to treat your belongings well, I do so. I hardly can be held for responsible for the earphones no to work any longer.

In addition to that, I feel sad to read from someone claiming to have things to teach about life while he's doing grammatical errors.

From a french guy.

First of all I don't really understand how being new on the forum has anything to do with it, but since you registered after me I'll cut you some slack ;)

I can only relate my own personal experience and I've had two pairs of S4i, both of which broke in the exact same way as detailed in my previous post. Both pairs handled with care since the price of these headphones is not an unsignificant amount of money to me. You may choose to believe me or not. Again, I would appreciate hearing your experience after having used them for an extended time period. Perhaps my store got a bad batch, but judging from this forum it doesn't seem to be an isolated incident.

My post was for yosh........... How did he know how long I have owned the ear buds?? I felt like he was telling me off

like what would I know about any item Klipsch makes...... only had them a few days.........come talk to ME is a few months. (Roll Eyes) I was jus pokin him back...no harm meant.

Really Gentleman......................... like I would spend my money on something and not read about it first.

I have been a lurker here from day one just never registered until my Cornwalls needed new cross overs last year.

Forgive me if I have mispelled something, etc............... cut the old man some slack :-) too funny. I am 60 and raced motorcycles and Corvette's for years. Not your average Gran Dad :-) from Texas..... don't speak French...I Live It !!

Have A Great Day

Louis

P.S.

I will find this thread next year (if I am still here on Earth) lol :-) and lets you guys know if I own a P.O.S. :-)

I'm sorry you took my word for you Louis, and nobody here wants to treat you as an old man. I wasn't replying to you because I hadn't noticed your first post, and never made any bets on how you're choosing earphones. So I guess no one is questionning your own experience with the S4 and any input is welcome.

The last post was aimed at you, indeed. Anyway, I like your lifestyle, looks you have had (and still have) a cool lifetime. Why think about the end? You're only 60! My grand dad turned 74 yesterday, and he's still young and I can't picture him leaving.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my third pair of S4i:s today on warranty replacement and I'm happy to report that the headphone jack on these are of a different design than the first two I had. Hopefully Klipsch have found the problem and fixed it. Time will tell.

Can you post a pic??? I purchased a used set from Ebay and now I find that there are fakes. I have looked and mine are real, case is correct size and lettering is not rubbing off. Wow they sound Great..... I am being really carefull removing them (not pulling on wires)

Thanks

Louis

Thanks ........ I have the first design then. Mine look like the one's with the mic on the opening page.

I see what you are talking about. The Nano pic shows larger ribbed plug. I am being very carefull removing them.

Thanks too all who have posted about the wire problem. I looked at the kids set( 8 months old or so) and it looks like mine but she too is being easy on them when removing from ears.

Thanks for the pictures! What surprises me is the jack connector is now straight whereas I was told the angled ones were more resistant! More, it seems the wire is directly bound to the jack while the current model of S4 we all have here feature a wire that's loose inside the connector's opening.. So it all seems the current version looks like the perfect one, and the new version less durable.. puzzling!

Was the straight one different as it for the mic? I looked at the pics again as I noticed my left ear bub has the ribbs and the right does not, just like the Nano pic. I thought I had a old pair from not noticing this. Now I have looked again I can't tell any difference...... confused.... but I do have the thinner case, not a fake (I was a Machinist)

Correct, the connectors are different depending on which model you have. The S4i has a straight connector (the model with the mic and the remote), whereas the S4 has a bent connector (and always has).

I have only had the S4i model, but there I've seen two different plug designs; one with strain relief (the new design as shown on the page I linked to) and one without (old design where I've had two pairs break on me).

I thought the wire was pulling out of the speaker connections, Duh... as this is what my kids have done to the Apple from jerking them on the wires to remove. I will look at pic again and look at my bent connector. The bent connector on mine is tapered and smooth....no groves or ribs??

I just got a replacement pair from the store, and as there is no apparent reason they made me that favor, these should still be the Image S4, and not the S4i.

So it seems Klipsch changed their design as the new pair features a straight jack connector like in the pictures with the nano.

I'll send you photos, and keep you posted about their durability. But I wish I won't!