YA Mid Horn Question

krell

Good question Mike, and the terminology may well be incorrect, reflections or reflected waves may be a better description. As I understant it, anything that breaks up a flat surface helps to reduce standing waves.

Because I have never seen a standing wave, I can only compare it to a reflection and or an echo. The fine textured surface act like an acoustic ceiling treatment, and although the effect may be negligable in a Tractrix horn, it certainly doesn't hurt.

Dave it is very important to keep in mind the size of a wavelength at the frequencies of interest because it can help you to understand what frequencies might be affected by a treatment (which in this case we are talking textured paint). For something to have a diffusive or reflective affect on a wavelength it must among other things be a significant fraction of the wavelength.

The roughness of the textured paint wouldn't be large enough to have any significant effect even at 20,000Hz which has a wavelength of .678" .

Mike, also please keep in mind I am a hobbiest, not an engineer, and "what I don't know is alot."

Dave, that is why I'm here hopefully to learn from others knowledge and experiences and hopefully I have something to share also. To tell you the truth I believe it is through persistance and learning through mistakes that I often gain the deeper understanding that I'm trying to acheive.

mike tn

Because I have never seen a standing wave, I can only compare it to a reflection and or an echo. The fine textured surface act like an acoustic ceiling treatment, and although the effect may be negligable in a Tractrix horn, it certainly doesn't hurt.

Dave if you want to experience what a standing wave is and does in a room try playing a few single frequencies ( between 100Hz(wavelength of 11.3ft) to 1000Hz(wavelength of 1.13ft) through one channel's loudspeaker of your system. You will hear a pattern of nulls and peaks in the SPL level that correspond to those wavelengths as you walk around the room.

mike tn

Electro-Voice SM120A works wonders, if you can take the looks (but an experienced woodworker could probably build you a new top bin around it so you could just remove the original top bin and keep it safe). Sounds great with the stock networks; been using mine on LaScalas for years with stock AA networks. Only recently did I swap for ALK crossovers. The k55v bolts on to the EV horn with not a single adaptor needed. I haven't heard the other options, they were not available yet when I bought the EV horns, but overall they are a fantastic improvement over the K400 with a smoother, clearer, and totally not beamy sound. Being CD design they typically need EQ at higher frequencies, but in a stock Klipsch 3way configurationthose frequencies are handled by the tweeter. I drive them sometimes very, very loud on transient-heavy music and there's never been distortion or driver failure so they seem to load the K55V properly. They are well regarded and comparatively cheap.

What might be a problem when used in a Khorn is that they fire very "wide" and this might cause first reflections on the side walls just next to the khorn; I use mine on free-standing LaScalas. K400 horn is more beamy and projects further into the room, making this less of an issue. But maybe it's not that important, I guess other people on this board used EV horns in Khorns with success.

SM120A EDS.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Oscarear and I are on the same page but with different ALK XO's. My choice was two fold in choosing the ALK Universals. I simply don't have the funding for the steep slope unit (yet) and the Universals can be updated.

I am the proud owner of David Harris' (to the best of my knowledge) first 2"horn. After having listened to many examples of mid-horn design, I am pleasently surprised with their audio presentation. My testing equipment is nothing more than the ears the Lord provided and 50 years of buying, building, trading and modifying corner horn design speakers.

The proof, be it as thin as suggested, maybe less than approprate for a few of the participants (so be = it), but in light of the results, I for one am VERY pleased with the efforts of Mr. Harris and his resulting horn.

Thank You David Harris,

Gary