Can anyone recommend some rear speakers?

m00n

Ok based on the system I have, what would be some good klipsch rear speakers? My Harman Kardon does not have power out to 6.1 or 7.1 so I would need an amp, but none the less, what would be good rears.

Also, is it even worth it right now? Are there very many movies that even have 6.1 or 7.1?

Thanks all.

------------------

Internet Software Engineer: Will code for HT upgrades.

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>

Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Hey m00n!

We have have nearly identical systems, so I would suggest doing what I did. Just get another RC-3 II for the rear speaker. As for amp, I am using the Denon AVR3802. This is a sweet reciever for the money. With some shopping around, it can be had for as little as $800.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Another proud member of the "Klipsch Klub".

Ya, I had thought about getting that same receiver if I could have gotten my money back from the store where I bought my Harman. Nothing agaist the Harman, I guess I just wanted to check something else out. I thought about going with a single speaker like that. But what I was thinking about doing was replacing my existing center with a RC-7 then putting the RC-3II in the back. But I have not made up my mind on what to do. Not sure if I want one or two rear speakers.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>

Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

skonopa, whoa dude. I didn't realize it had 7 discrete channels. I just went back and read up on that receiver again, for some reason I totally missed that. Wow.... Hmmm Now I really have to really reconsider how hard I want to try and get my money back on on Harman Kardon.... But damn. I got such a good deal on my Harman. I only paid $640.00 for it. Hmmmm, I have a buddy that was talking about buying it from me.

By looking at the picture, I can't tell, but does it have a display that shows you which speaker mode your in. eg, stereo, 5.1 etc? The harman does. It will show you which speakers are playing. Really cool feature.

Outside of the fact that the denon has 7 discrete channels, what would other people choose. Here are the spec sheets.

Denon AVR 3802

Or

Harman Kardon AVR 520

I guess I want to know if the price difference of $259 is really worth it. I come up with that price difference because as I said, I got my Harman for $640 and I have been quoted on the Denon for $899

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 04-24-2002 at 12:11 AM

As far as one or two rear speakers, there is nothing that uses 7.1 surround anyway, plus I have been told by a couple folks that I would have been better served (and save a little money) by going with just one speaker. Also, one speaker fit more easily in my limited space than two rear speakers.

Yes, the Denon will tell you which modes/speakers you are playing with. It has very nice alphanumeric display on front as well as an OSD (on-screen display) that shows up on your TV.

Interesting that the H/K claims it is a 7.1 channel reciever but does not have hookups for the second set of surrounds.

Personally, if you can get your money back from the H/K, I'd spend the additional $260 for the Denon. What you'll get is more power (110 watts/channel x 7 channels, as well as the ability to hook up THREE sets of surrounds (A, B and rear) You can switch between the A and B or use them both together. I hooked up my old Infinity towers as the B surrounds and they work real nice in my system. There are numerous other nice features. You can download the user's guide in PDF format from the Denon website. I have been told by several folks that the Denon AVR3802 was the best reciever in its class.

If you can't get your money back, then it would not be worth it to drop another 800+ for a new reciever. The H/K seems to be a really nice unit.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Another proud member of the "Klipsch Klub".

quote:

Originally posted by dougdrake:

m00n - I believe the RC-7 would be overkill against your RF-3 mains.

Doug

Overkill? Who do you mean? To much sound or what? I was thinking it would get me that much closer to a R*-7 series all the way around which is my goal. cwm20.gif

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

I believe it may sound too aggressive against your RF-3s, with the larger horn. You would not, I believe, have the timbre match like you have with the RC-3.

If you plan to go Rx-7 in the near future, then get the RC-7 now, by all means.

Doug

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 04-24-2002 at 01:42 PM

Hmmm back to this topic....

Lets say I did want 7.1. Would it be important to stick with the refernce series, or are there some spearkers that are designed to be rears in a different line of speakers?

Also, as skonopa mentioned, there is nothing that is 7.1. Are there any movements in the DVD industry to start making DVD's that support 7.1?

If it's a good couple of years down the road before we start seeing 7.1 as a norm, then I would agree that 7.1 would be a waste of money.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

no receiver decoder or dolby/dts encoding has 7.1 discrete channels. DD EX 7.1 really uses the same info

encoded on both the surround channels to go to both rear surround speaks in a 7.1 set-up.

dts has ES 6.1 discrete, though the material is just starting to emerge & your receiver decoder must have dts es 6.1 discrete decoder to do it. otherwise it'll downmix it to dts 6.1 matrix in the rear surround speak(s).

i'm fine having just one rear surround (center). i like it for the reasons i have only one front center.

only way i'd use 2 rear surrounds is if i had a real wide back wall. otherwise, moon, i'd say you'd be fine

using just one rc-3 as a rear center, especially since you have rs-3 wdst speaks for surrounds.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Hey great info boa12....

And thats a big WHOO HOOO, my H/K has DTS 6.1 Discrete and Matrix. Think I will take your adivce on this and just stick to one rear channel when the time comes.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

the reason hk receivers only have five channels of amplification is because it is impossible to fit that many high current channels in a reasonably sized box. think about that the next time you see a 6, 7 or 8 channel receiver pushing between 100 and 170 watts per channel. simple physics