Connecting my bookshelf speakers to my subwoofer.

blackedout

Frist of all im new to the klipsch community and klisch home audio so bare with with. I recently bought a pair of rb-61 reference series bookshelf speakers and a rw-10d subwoofer and wanted to know what's the different between directly connecting the bookshelf to the sub instead of connecting to the receiver itself. I own a onkyo tx-nr509 they told me the receiver was strong enough to power the speakers that's how I have my speakers setup right now. So what do you guys suggest to do. Thanks ahead of time to anyone who answers.

Usuallly the speaker-level inputs and outputs on a subwoofer are only used if a receiver doesn't have a dedicated subwoofer pre-out. Virtually all modern receivers have a subwoofer pre-out, though. If you have your bookshelf speakers connected directly to your Onkyo and your subwoofer cable connected to the receiver's subwoofer pre-out that's the correct way for the equipment that you have.

Welcome to the forum!

There is a lot of difference. Your receiver will be used best if you run the sub-rca output from the receiver to the sub and let it have all 260 watts for itself. Run your left and right fronts to the two bookshelf units. Your receiver is rated at 80 Watts per channel, and the speakers 100. That is just fine. Make sure you set the bookshelf speakers NOT full range; and they should have a high pass crossover of around 60 Hz as a start. You should set the LFE on your receiver at 110 Hz as a start.