Advice on my proposed system

Max_Durham

I will soon have my first HT system (60% HT/40% music). I will also be a new Klipsch owner and would like some advice on my propsed system. Over the last few months I have valued the opinion of the members here and ask for your help now.

My current room is approximately 14 X 14, but I will building a home sometime and will have a more HT oriented room. The system I'm considering is as follows:

Fronts: RF-5

Center: RC-3II

Surrounds: RS-3II

Rear Center: RB-3 (if I can buy just 1, if not ?????)

Sub: RSW-10

A/V Receiver: Yamaha RX-V2200

DVD-P: Sony DVP-NC650v (I don't have a HDTV, so progressive is not necessary and SACD would be nice. I will upgrade the DVD as necessary).

My main concerns are as follows:

1. Will the front RF-5's sonically match the center RC-3II and surrounds RS-3II?

2. Will the RF-5's overpower the center?

3. Is the Yamaha RX-V2200 a good selection in general and with Klipsch speakers?

4. Should I upgrade to the RSW-12?

I have spent time listening to the Klipsch/Yamaha setup, but in a HT store it's hard to tell how they system really works together. Thanks for any help/adivce/pointers anyone can offer.

Max

My room is about the same size and I have nearly the same gear that you are proposing to get. Here are my suggestions:

For the fronts, save the money and get the RF-3 IIs over the RF-5s. I have auditioned RF-3 IIs next to the RF-5s and I could not really tell a difference in sound. If there is a difference in sound quality, it was very slight and not worth the extra $500 or so over the cost of RF-3s.

For the rear center, get a second RC-3 II.

Use the money you would save getting the RF-3s over the RF-5s and get an RSW-12 instead of the RSW-10 for the sub. The rest of your gear should be good. The Yamaha RX-2200 seems to be a good reciever. I personally have the Denon AVR3802, which I am happy with.

Also, make sure the store you buy your gear at has a good return/trade-up policy. It does make it easier to listen to something and knowing if you end up not liking it, you can always return or exchange it.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Another proud member of the "Klipsch Klub".

Max,

The RF-5's will be just fine with the RC-3. The RF-5 is basically the RF-3 in a larger cabinet, and are said to have better wiring. The larger cabinet does seem to make the 5's sound better IMO, but you need to compare them side by side and decide for yourself if you purchase them or the RF-3. If you plan to one day migrate to the RF-7, then I would go with the RC-7 as a center. This way you are set if you decide to upgrade. If you don't decide then the RC-7, and the RF-5 will be fine together also. Remember try to get as much speaker as you can the first time. A good pair of speakers should last you a lifetime regardless if you change gear or not, unless your budget dictates you get there by way of upgrades. I say get em now and be done with it. The yamaha should be fine, but there are better recievers on the market for the same money or less. I was a big Yamaha fan and I owned a DSP-A1 which was one hell of a piece, but for the money it just did not have the flexability that I was looking for by way of setup. Other than that I loved the piece. The sub. The sub I would follow skonopa's advice and go with at leat the RSW-12 especially if you are going to move your theater into a larger room. If that is the case you will need a larger sub, or plan to add a second 10. Your choices in subs is plentifull, but if you decide to go with Klipsch I would go with the RSW-12, or 15 even. Im sure others on this board will have other sub options for you, but I use a RSW-15, and RSW-12 currentlly and I think they are nice subs, eventhough I think Im going to try much talked about SVS to replace the RSW-12. Thas my two cents.

------------------

MM

This message has been edited by Marathon Man on 04-24-2002 at 11:45 PM

quote:

Originally posted by skonopa:

Also, make sure the store you buy your gear at has a good return/trade-up policy. It does make it easier to listen to something and knowing if you end up not liking it, you can always return or exchange it.

I agree 100% on this. I bought my receiver from a store, took it home, to make a long story short, wanted to return it and get my money back. They said no. We don't give money back only exchanges or in store credit. Crappy thing about that was, they had nothing that was even close to what I had purchased in quality. I was stuck with what I had purchased. Ended up being ok because I have decided to stay with this model of receiver after getting guidence of the folks here in the forum. I learned the hard way, that what skonopa said is VERY important.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

I have debated over the Denon 3802 and Yamaha RX-V2200 (both are popular with Klipsch on this site), but there are not any local stores that carry Denon and Klipsch products collectively, only Yamaha and Klipsch. The store where I will purchase has a great return policy, but of the receivers they carry in my price range, Yamaha is pretty much it.

I'm not decided about the RF-3II's or RF-5's as fronts. I will give them at least one more listen before deciding. My original decision was to upgrade the fronts and go with the RSW-10 versus 12. Which is better to upgrade now, the fronts or the sub? The store has a speaker upgrade policy if done within the first year.

Max,

I have the RSW12 and I can tell you first had it is incredible. Out of my entire system, if I was told I could only keep one thing, it would be my sub. Dats ma baybee.cwm38.gif

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>