Negative Volume on Denon 3802

cluless

bac, be nice to have that adjustability in tone levels but whatever you set "ref level" at, say 75db, when you go to 0 you're going to get widely varying spl w/ different input devices & material. iow, all it's going to tell you at 0 is that you're at the denon's ref level isn't it?

now w/ a disk like avia you're getting a ref level according to your dvdp anyway, but disks can still be recorded at dif levels.

iow, "ref level" not a big item here. Smile.gif channel balance is key.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Yes Boa - the channel level match is really what is important.

But as a side note, with the Denon calibrated correctly to 75 db with internal tones at a volume setting of 0, then EVERY DVD you watch at that level will be at reference level. All DVD's are mastered to the reference level. But that doesn't mean the DVD will be the same volume, because they can mix it intentionally to be soft, loud, etc.

Also, reference level means nothing outside of DVD's as you pointed out. We are more worried about our channel levels being matched. TV shows are all mastered to whatever they want, and we have no idea what levels those are, so we can't calibrate to their levels.

Bryan

right on bryan, i've found those digital cable movies really vary. they all use DD, but on the DD 2.0 stuff i've found some use dialogue normalization & some don't. those w/ the DN have a much better even sound &

those w/o DN seem to be more inclined to that distortion in the dialogue not to mention lower volume as most of the sound comes from the dialogue anyway.

another thing on the levels though is that different dvd players have different output levels. that's why i'm seriously considering retrying the avia disk for balancing the channels. & then i can control it's volume to set a 85db reference level. though as you say as this would only apply to the dvd player.

------------------

My Home Systems Page