More power using both low level inputs?

solitaire

A myth.

When you use a Y connector and both inputs, the amp sums the inputs. It's the same thing as sending a signal that's twice as strong. The amp does not become magicaly more powerfull. You can do the same thing by either turning the gain up on the sub or increasing the level of the sub output from your receiver.

Oh, thank you. I'm sure you're right about it being a myth. I think I read this about a JBL sub at some time way back. Might have applied to that one sub and not generally, but so many abiding to the Y-splitter rule I got the idea that at least subs of US design had separate amps or at least pre amps. I also read a review for a Klipsch sub (don't remember the model now) in which the reviewer said he used both inputs because "it increases the gain by 20". Can't speak for him obviously and not sure why there would be a difference if what you say is true.

Cheers, so by that you're technically saying the sub infact has separate pre-amps but a common poweramp, then.

Ya...they need the separate pre-amps so they can sum the L and R signal into Mono. If I were designing for the lowest cost solution possible, then I would probably use a single summing opamp stage since the source will be low impedance. Not sure if that counts as two "separate" preamps, but their outputs will definitely sum.

Btw, twice the voltage is +6dB of gain....not sure where that +20 comes from.