New member with a few questions

ZachA

First a quick intro, I'm a computer techy with a love of all thing electronic. I bought myself a Klispch RB-10 Bookshelf system back in 2006 at the age of 16 and have been in love with them ever since. - I belong to a tech fourm on a computer site called EVGA under the same name, Heres my man cave - http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?buildid=18344

EVGA Profile - http://www.evga.com/forums/showprofile.aspx?memid=301325

My first issue is that I finally took out my fathers old Velodyne HGS-10 Subwoofer he gave me when I bought my RB-10 system, I now want to replace it with an eqivelent Klispch subwoofer as they no longer have parts availible for the HGS-10.

LINK TO Velodyne HGS-10 specs.

Also on a side note I noticed that Klipsch has discontinued the RB-10 system I bought years ago, what replaced it? and can I or should I mix new with old? I want to make my 5.1 a 7.1[H]

Thanks,

ZachA

Beasty liquid cooled computer. You have a LOT of time and money in that system. Nice. I've build many computers over the years. My budget since the 80's has been about $5,000 on a new system. Looks like you beat the crap outta that!

Even though those speakers are out of production, it doesn't mean you can't still buy them. This would get you 7.1: http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-RB-10-Home-Theater-Bookshelf-Speakers-Pair-/260808177738?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item3cb960f84a. I have bought used Klipsch speakers, and am not afraid of the after market unless they are beat to $hit.

Lastly, are you replacing the sub cause its broken and you cant get parts? You can buy the RPW10's on Ebay too. new and old.

First a quick intro, I'm a computer techy with a love of all thing electronic. I bought myself a Klispch RB-10 Bookshelf system back in 2006 at the age of 16 and have been in love with them ever since. - I belong to a tech fourm on a computer site called EVGA under the same name, Heres my man cave - http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?buildid=18344

EVGA Profile - http://www.evga.com/forums/showprofile.aspx?memid=301325

Nice rig and setup there! Looks pretty sweet.

My first issue is that I finally took out my fathers old Velodyne HGS-10 Subwoofer he gave me when I bought my RB-10 system, I now want to replace it with an eqivelent Klispch subwoofer as they no longer have parts availible for the HGS-10.

LINK TO Velodyne HGS-10 specs.

Those HGS-10 subwoofers were some really nice units in the day. When you said "I took out my father's old Velodyne sub", do you mean that you ended up killing it? Sounds like they no longer support it.

Well, that sub was originally a $1,600 unit - pretty high-end as far as HT subs go (although not the uber-ridiculus-high-end like the Krells or Wilson Audios).

If you want to stick with Klipsch subs, I am guessing the closes equivalent given the modern (current) line will be SW-311. Of course, there are very good brands out there, plus you may be able to find something nice for second-hand that will be less than paying $1,500 for a new one that matches your original in specs.

Also on a side note I noticed that Klipsch has discontinued the RB-10 system I bought years ago, what replaced it? and can I or should I mix new with old? I want to make my 5.1 a 7.1Cool

Thanks,

ZachA

The older reference (which is what your RB-10 system is) actually matches quite well with the current reference. If you are talking a complete package system, the RB-41 system are the current equivalent to the older RB-10 system. Of course, perhaps take this oppurtunity to upgrade farther up the line, such as the RB-61s or such, if your budget and space allows.

Honestly after a few experiences of buying second hand items I have 9 times out of 10 been money and time ahead buying new....[;)]

I e-mailed a certified repair depo that was listed on there main page, they no longer have or can get parts for that series of Subwoofer, and again I rather buy new...

Thanks,

ZachA

The old HGS-10 had something with the speaker control board crap out, from what I found out it cant be fixed[:@]

Im actually now that I think about it going to get a SW thats slightly under spec then the old one because it was actually over kill for what He used it for and what I ended up using it for, my RB-10 setup in a 10x12 room.

That raises an interesting point, my receiver is a Pioneer VSX-917.... 7.1 capable @ 110w rms per channel, right now my Center speaker can take 75w rms, while the front L&R and Rear L&R can only take 50w rms.

So would upgrading the two extra rear surround speakers to the next "tier" go well with my existing speakers or would it create an aduible difference? Thats why I was just going to try and match with my existing speakers with a new equivalent to avoid replaceing my entire setup.

Thanks,

ZachA

The old HGS-10 had something with the speaker control board crap out, from what I found out it cant be fixedAngry

Im actually now that I think about it going to get a SW thats slightly under spec then the old one because it was actually over kill for what He used it for and what I ended up using it for, my RB-10 setup in a 10x12 room.

That HGS-10 is a pretty powerful sub. It is "servo controlled", which sounds like what went out. Given the thing is probably some 14 years old now (that review posted in the original post was dated back in 1997), that does not surprise me that they are no longer supported. I guess it could be possible to find a part on something like eBay, but that is hit or miss.

As far as finding something a bit more appropriate (short of going second hand, as it seems you already indicated you would just rather buy new), then perhaps something like the SW-450 would be better (at around $450). One nice thing about subs is that you do not have to stick with Klipsch is none of the options appeal to you. Of course, getting a current Velodyne model would work as it is a brand you are already familier with. A lot of folks on here also really like SVS.

That raises an interesting point, my receiver is a Pioneer VSX-917.... 7.1 capable @ 110w rms per channel, right now my Center speaker can take 75w rms, while the front L&R and Rear L&R can only take 50w rms.

Actually, that is not a problem as long as you don't constantly crank the volume all the way up all the time. In fact, what is actually more harmful to speakers is too little power. If you crank things up until it distorts, you amplfier is clipping, which means it just does not have enough power to handle what is being asked of it. This distortion is what will really kill speakers, especially the tweeters. Because Klipsch are pretty efficient, they often don't require as much power to get them as loud as other brands. (*cough*bose*cough*).

So would upgrading the two extra rear surround speakers to the next "tier" go well with my existing speakers or would it create an aduible difference? Thats why I was just going to try and match with my existing speakers with a new equivalent to avoid replaceing my entire setup.

Thanks,

ZachA

You don't have to get a complete new setup. As I mentioned, the current RB-41 II line seems to be the direct replacement to your RB-10s.

This is what I would actually do. If you want to upgrade your speakers, I would upgrade the mains, to say something like the RB-61s or whatever else you desire. Then use your RB-10s as the rear surrounds (the surrounds don't HAVE to be the RS-xx type speakers. In fact there has been some debate on what is actually better for surrounds, with some saying the ideal setup being all identical speakers all the way around). As time and money allows, you could gradually upgrade other parts of the system (such as the center next, then the side surrounds and then the rear surrounds, new receiver, new sub, and so on and so forth....). You could reuse the old speakers in another system or sell them off on Craigslist/eBay/this forum's Garage Sale section/Audiogon/etc. Just please, for the Love of God and everything Green, don't just throw them away! Heck, you may even still be able to sell the dead HGS-10 on Craiglist for a couple hundred. Somebody with the know how may still be able to fix it or use it as spare parts to fix another unit, especially if the amp and the drivers in that thing are still good.

Im thinking the SVS SB-12NSD or Klispch SW-308 will fit the bill quite well[:P]

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12nsd.cfm

http://www.klipsch.com/sw-308-subwoofer

ANd I usually set my Receiver to 3/4 max power(around 80w) and adjust the volume level through my computers keyboard which lands the power usage in around 40-60w rms.

Now I dont have front L&R speakers that face out from the front of the room, just the center speaker, the other for are set of the left and right wall facing in from the sides which are acting more like surround speakers then anything else.

My question is should I get two more surround type speakers or get to purpose built front L&R?

Im thinking the SVS SB-12NSD or Klispch SW-308 will fit the bill quite wellStick out tongue

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12nsd.cfm

http://www.klipsch.com/sw-308-subwoofer

I don't think will go wrong with either of those

ANd I usually set my Receiver to 3/4 max power(around 80w) and adjust the volume level through my computers keyboard which lands the power usage in around 40-60w rms.

Now I dont have front L&R speakers that face out from the front of the room, just the center speaker, the other four are set of the left and right wall facing in from the sides which are acting more like surround speakers then anything else.

My question is should I get two more surround type speakers or get to purpose built front L&R?

Then, if that is indeed the case and if you want to complete the 7.1 setup, then I would get a pair of the mains. Given what you currently have, I think a pair of the RB-51s would be an excellent match and be a nice upgrade to the sound without being to overpowering and still be relatively inexpensive.

If I already have a Pair of mains (RB-10 Book Shelf Speakers) out of this exact set minus the sub --> http://www.klipsch.com/rb-10-home-theater-system

So would I be better of getting another set of "Surround speakers"? Like these? --> http://www.klipsch.com/rs-42-ii-surround-speaker, That way Im still upgrading to the 7.1, but at the same time not having two pairs of mains? or will having a pair of mains in the front and then in the rear surround be better then a set of front surround and rear surround???? [:P]

Sorry for the drawn out questions, I just get confused on which speakers work better as surround and mains when there not floor standing models[*-)]

***Edited*** I see what you were talking about now, when reviewing the next system above mine in the current line up.

So according to all im seeing I should set my speakers like this once I get the new set....

L RB-51 II TV R RB-51 II

RC-10 Center

L RB-10 Bookshelf R RB-10 Bookshelf

L RS-10 Surround R RS-10 Surround

***Edited*** I see what you were talking about now, when reviewing the next system above mine in the current line up.

So according to all im seeing I should set my speakers like this once I get the new set....

L RB-51 II TV R RB-51 II

RC-10 Center

Yup that would indeed work. Of course, you can also try:

L RB-51 II TV R RB-51 II

RC-10 Center

As this is also a perferctly good way to setup a system. It entirely depends on your particluar space and how you want your sound. Some people think putting the RS-style speakers on the side with the direct-radiating ones on the rear is a better solution. That is basically how I have my own rig setup (RS-7s on the side, with a single RC-7 in the rear as I have a 6.2 setup). Anyway, once you have all the pieces in place, it is a matter of experimenting with placement until you find something that you like.

Also, try to put the subwoofer into a corner, if at all possible.

With that, you should have yourself a fine little system there! [H][8]