ProMedia 2.1 won't turn on, blows external fuses

freyir

Today when I muted the sound on my laptop, I heard a loud pop from my ProMedia 2.1 speakers. The green power light went out and the fuse on the subwoofer was blown. I bought some replacement 2A/250V slow blow fuses, but as soon as I turn on the power (I have the model with the on/off switch on the back), the fuse blows immediately. Any suggestions on what to do from here?

Also, I opened up the sub and checked the two internal fuses. They look fine.

Thanks!

Welcome to The Forum

Have you tried disconnecting the DIN cable; replacing fuse; then powering up?

(You mentioned the green light went out when the fuse popped).

If the fuse does not pop with the DIN disconnected; my guess is something with the pod has shorted.

I am no expert; but it will cost one fuse to try.....

Good Luck.

Yeah, that's what I feared.

I have access to electronics lab equipment, but not too much experience repairing electronics myself. I'm wondering if anyone who's fixed one of these before has seen a similar issue and could point me in some direction, or give me any advice what to look for specifically.

• 2 months later...

This just happened to me. Were you able to get it fixed? I had my Promedia 2.1 speakers unplugged for a while. When I plugged them back in, there was a loud pop and then no power. I checked the control pod on the satellite speakers but it looks fine. The fuse in the back of the subwoofer was blown. Today I tried replacing it. The first time, it blew again as soon as I routed power back to the speakers. Then I tried a couple of more times - the fuse didn't blow again, but, still, no power would go to the system. I pulled out the control panel in the back of the subwoofer and the internal fuses look fine, as you said yours did. What is the fix? Thanks!