Two Viewing Areas For One System

cdifani

Guys:

I need some help! I've written before to the forum, and received excellent advice (which I took!). And now I've got a new issue!

What I've got is a 1400 sq foot loft in a 1920's post and beam barn that I've converted to living quarters... I've installed all speakers in the walls, and ceilings, and installed something like 4.9 miles of wires in the walls. I've run HDMI 1.3a CL2 cables, along with Cat 6 Ethernet, DVI, RGB, digital audio, RG8 coax, and every other kind of specialized conductor I could think of in my walls. My speakers are Polk "in wall" speakers that I've installed inside built-in enclosures, inside the walls and ceilings. Both of my HT areas are technically identical; same brand and model speakers used in the same places, connected by the same size and grade of wiring. Same speaker impedance, same everything.

That's the background. Now for the details. Both HT areas are 5.2 audio (one has 7.2, but I'm only using the 5.2 speakers now). I've got two LG 1080P plasma panels, one 42 inch in the master bedroom, while the 55 inch plasma is in the great room viewing area. In my centrally located "equipment closet", I'm running an Onkyo HT-360 AV receiver (Fry's Electronics for $249 on sale), which has 5 HDMI inputs, and 1 HDMI output. For input's, I've got Rokyu, Blu-Ray, Patriot Memory Media Box, and HTPC sources connected via 1.4 HDMI cables. I'm controlling this system via a Harmony RF control, also everything is network connected with Internet connectivity.

The question or rather the issue I want to solve is a way to switch the audio-visual outputs between my two home theater areas. Preferably with some kind of remote controlled speaker switching device. My goal is to be able to, by using my Harmony remote, switch (change) the speaker and HDMI output of my Onkyo receiver to either of my two HT areas (but not both at the same time). This seems to be simple, or at least simple in concept, but in reality, this seems to be a lot trickier to achieve!

I've found HDMI splitters that are remote enabled, but I haven't found any kind of "switch" that meets my needs. The only "simple" solution I've been offered is to get a second AV receiver (next time they're on sale!), and use it to drive the second set of speakers. Then do a simple HDMI splitter kind of thing between my first AV receiver and the second, while keeping all the inputs (Blu-Ray, etc.,) connected to (and controlled by) my first AV receiver. This solution would solve the "speaker switches" thing... But it would add a level of complexity due to the second AV receiver...

The other issue I'm dealing with is that my wife is not "remote friendly". ....which is why I'm using the Harmony remote, with it's "activities" capabilities.

Anyway, if anyone's got a working solution to this condition, I will be very grateful for your experience, and recommendations!

Thanks for your time, and thoughts,

Chris Difani

cdifani@comcast.net

I guess the easiest thing would be to have a seperate AVR and run a HDMI output from your current receiver but you're looking for a cheaper solution. The panel display shouldn't be an issue, but the problem is sending an amplified signal to your other set of speakers. Outside of a speker selector switch box, I don't see how you'd do it.