In-Wall Speakers?

reynolr

I am looking to get a couple pairs of in-wall speakers and am of course wanting some good ones. I was just wondering if anyone has any or has ever heard any that are any good. I want quality speaker, but the cheaper the price the better. They will be my surronds and either my front wide/front high/ or rear surrounds. Any suggestions on which of those 3 would be helpful as well. They will be used for mainly home theater. Thanks for your help.

You could look at the Klipsch Reference line. Another option would be the new Klisch Gallery pannel speakers. I haven't heard either of these for any credible amount of time, but they should do well for your application. I also wouldn't rule out a pair of RS-42s, 52s, or 62s as they are easily wall mountable. What are you using for your front two/three?

As for where to put your last pair, that depends on your room and set-up. I'm use my last pair as rears for two reasons. 1) I'm using towers. Towers obviously don't work for front height plus I have a large screen that almost goes to the ceiling. 2) I have a narrow room. If I used them as wides, they would basically be on top of my front L/R.

Some general guidelines:

For rears, they need to be high enough above the rear seats that they don't fire directly in to seats. You should also have a few foot of available space behind the seating. If the prime seating is against the wall, I would avoid this, however, if the back of your listening/viewing area is open to a second room, rears might help to fill the room.

For wides, this works best, obviously, in a very wide room. My positioning your towers directly L/R of your TV and then placing those speakers wide, it widens your sound field.

Heights, IMO, are best for narrow rooms with no back end to put rears. Also great if you have your TV on a stand as it can fill the large space above the TV. Please note that I have never critically listened to a system with front height speakers.

Last thing to keep in mind is that very little information is sent to the last "pair" of speakers, and in most applications, the sound that is sent is generated by the receiver as the source material often doesn't contain this information. Also, I believe that in European countries, much more source material is coming out with front wide info than rear info (although I could be wrong). Bottom line, put em where they sound the best and where it makes the most sense!

I've got the Klipsch rf-52ii's as my fronts with the 100 inch screen. There is a few ft bt my speakers and the walls up front. And as for the back there is about 4 or 5 ft of room bt the back of the couch and wall. It is not a special theater room, it is just the basement part of a tri level home, (a few stairs with an opening down into the room). The room size is about 14X19 wxl. the seats are around 15ft back and centered. The rs 4/5/62's would be my first choice but while bargining with the lady I gave those up for in-wall in order to get the towers up front lol.