hybrid speakers, Marantz and Klipsch... Klipschantz?

wake175m5

First time poster here, though I do read through the forums quite a bit when looking for answers - I figured its time to ask a question

So, I have a pair of Marantz SP-2065 loudspeakers, I know they are not known for being the best speakers out there but since I recently got them hooked up to a receiver that can properly power them I like the way they sound. However, they could have a little crisper/cleaner highs. So I have been trying to figure out the right mid and tweeter to replace the existing ones with, which got me wondering if instead of replacing the mids and tweets could I just remove them and use my Klipsch R-5800-W paired with the Marantz woofer? Would it be way too much crossover work?

Thoughts? Thanks for any input.

post-50401-13819660132588_thumb.jpg

Frankenspeakers IMHO are more work to get right than starting from scratch and designing a speaker. You don't want to get stuck in a Marsch. ;)

Here is a link to your speakers. http://www.audiocircuit.com/Home-Audio/Marantz/SP-2065

I suggest you just listen to them for about a month and let the change in sound settle into your hearing.

Have you done any testing to be sure all the drivers are working properly?

• 3 months later...

yea, i kind of wondered about that...

i am pretty sure all of the drivers are working, however all i have done to check is put my ear near each one to see if it is producing sound and they all are. then i turned the volume up and felt each one lightly to see if they were firing in such a way that seemed to make sense with the music... so obviously nothing very scientific at all as far as testing.

what would i do to test the drivers further?

thank you for the reply

Marantz is one of those brands with some good stuff (older electronics and the higher end new stuff) and some bad stuff. (low end products, especially speakers.) Why marry good components into a mediocre consumer product? With so many options around for good, properly matched components, I think you can do much better with some of the kits on the market. Check Bob Crites site for some good options. You'll spend a bit more, but nothing is worse than spending money for a dud project.

Marantz is one of those brands with some good stuff (older electronics and the higher end new stuff) and some bad stuff. (low end products, especially speakers.) Why marry good components into a mediocre consumer product? With so many options around for good, properly matched components, I think you can do much better with some of the kits on the market. Check Bob Crites site for some good options. You'll spend a bit more, but nothing is worse than spending money for a dud project.

Volti also has some nice upgrades as does ALK. (Should I say that in the same sentence?) LOL