modified Sony CE775 SACD multichanel changer

soundog

Recently I had one of my two 775s modified by SACDmods.com. As reported here and elsewhere the stock 775 is quite a good machine well worth its $399. list due to the quality Burr-Brown processors it contains. However, one of my systems uses Klipschorns and LaScalas which use identical speaker components. One problem with these speakers is that they clearly and dynamically reproduce whatever goes in to them. There hair trigger dynamics tend to make both muddy and boomy bass as well as the metallic edge of digital sound more prominent. The 775 is now selling everywhere for the unbeleivably low price of $199. Probably Sony's way of promoting their SACD format.

The modifications that were made to my 775 dramatically improved the bass and removed any digital edginess from the mids and highs. The mods also clearly improved the playback of standard redbook CDs something that is of minimal interest to me because I run the output of all my CD transports through external processing through Perpetual Technologies P1A and Dan Wright modified P3A. These devices convert CDs to close approximation of SACDs at a cost of around $2500. for these excellent Stereophile recommended components. So I have a good standard of comparison.

My modified 775 now sounds better on stereo SACDs than my CDs processed through the Perpetual Tech devices, something that wasnt true of the unmodified 775 (although it was surprisingly good for its cost) However,. CDs through the unmodified 775 didnt sound good at all when compared to the PT devices. Multichannel SACDs, especially those recorded in DSD now sound exceptional. They now offer a very wide soundstage out from the sides of the front speakers in a Cinemascope fashion. Great for recordings of symphony orchestras as the soundstage extends out beyond the walls of my room and curves inward slightly jut as a live orchestra would sounds a lot more like the real thing in size and scope. Of course, smaller groups sound so real that with the lights out you would swear they are in the room with you! Particularly exciting are live recordings like Bucky Pezzarelis Swing Live! (Chesky) were you are transported to a NYC night club. You are there!

I plan to do a side by side comparison with the Sony 555ES and 777ES players (and anything else) if possible. I have heard both these machines in stores and the moded 775 sounds better with my system I think. I am reasonably sure that it sounds better than the 555ES but am less sure about the highly rated and expensive ($2999 list) 777ES which employs 6 DACs vs. the 3 in the 775 and 555. Only a direct side by side using the same recording played through the otherwise same system will let me know for sure. But I can say this: the SACDmods.com modified 775 is in the same league as these high end machines and for a total cost of around $450 550 (there are options) you will be getting way more than your moneys worth.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

Man, Soundog, they sure have been bashin' you over at the Audio Asylum! I, for one, appreciate your review. Thanks for taking the time. I have the 775 set up with a Nakamichi SR-3A receiver and Cornwalls, and I think it sounds great I'm probably going to eventually move it to the other room (w/ the Denon 3300) for multi-channel, and run long pre-outs to the Nak (or one of my other receivers, or a future tube amp) for two channel listening.

fini