Can i use this amp?

thesebastian

Hi all,

I was looking for 2.0 speakers and I found these one's (RB-41 II) (If i chose the incorrect speakers, please let me know). They will be for a small room (for my PC).

On the second hand, actually i have an old "Technics" amplifier with the following specs:

GCnH4.png

Am i able to properly use this amplifier with RB-41 II speakers? In case yes, which are the disadvantages i will suffer for using this amplifier? (I'm a totally newbie with all this).

Please, take in account that, I give priority to fidelity/quality than the max/capacity volume of the speakers!

Best Regards,

Sebastian.

A small room doesn't need much, and PC isn't always a great source of quality sound, but it should work. Start with the volume very low.

It would not be my preference, but what works best would depend on your intended listening material. For most small music systems I like 2.1, something like the Klipsch promedia works fine for many and doesn't waste too much power.

Thanks for your answer!

- About the small room, i agree, but i prefer this ones because of their ( i think ) good fidelity. I probably, also, will send this speakers to a home teather in the living room in a nearly future.

- About the PC Sound quality, well currently i have an X-Fi Creative XtremeMusic sound card, 320kbps mp3 and/or FLAC music, this also, is not a good source of quality?

About my currently config, i have the X-Fi XtremeMusic + Edifier r501 5.1 home teather system. I want to change to a 2.0 setup, because i'm not using 5.1 stuff, except when playing some games, but i prefer better 2.0 quality sound, than a 5.1.My currently speakers sound good, but i want more quality. I don't prefer 2.1 since most of my music is just 2.0

These Klipsch speakers with my Technics amplifier, using the amplifier at no more than 60% volume (assuming that 60% is a lot of volume), will sound as good as a config with a modern/good amplifier?

Also, this Klipsch model is a good choicer for 2.0 in hi-fi music? or it's just standard quality?

i Was thinking of going for the next model RB-51.

Some people told me that 4'' cone woofer is not good for 2.0 Stereo config.

It's 5.25'' cone woofer good for 2.0 ?

First, to immediatly answer this.

The reason why people say that the 4" cone woofer is not good for 2.0 stereo config is that you are not going to be getting a lot of bass out of that. That is why some indicating getting a 2.1 setup, with a subwoofer for the added bass. If you really do not want to use a sub and can spare the few extra dollars, I would move up to the larger RB-51s. The general rule when it comes to Klipsch is that the bigger is indeed usually better (assuming you are not attempting something ridiculous like trying to cram a pair of KHorns into a 10 x 10 foot room). I think in the long run, you will be happier.

Okay, to anwer your original post, as long as it is working properly, that amplifier you have should be suffice. It certainly will not hurt to try it out for now and see how it sounds. It may be worth considering an upgrade in the future or if you are dead set on 2-channel stereo, perhaps seeing if you can find a dedicated two-channel receiver/amplfier instead.

Just for comparison, my current two-channel rig, I got a Cambrige Audio Azure 640A that I picked up on liquidation when Tweeter went out of business for $300 (those things are normally $600 or so) powering a pair of KEF K140 speakers that I found at a yard sale for $50. I am actually impressed at how well that little rig turned out sounding. Source is a Pioneer Elite universal player that I also got on clearance for $200 (normally that unit goes for $1000).

So yes, I think what you currently got would be an excellent start and certainly does not hurt to try it out.

Thanks for your answer,

Well my idea, it's to change
my currently 5.1 multimedia speakers. (Edifier R501). In other words, i
currently have, this subwoofer (from the Edifier R501 system)...You
think it's a bad subwoofer for RB-41?

Okay, to anwer your original post, as long as it is working properly, that amplifier you have should be suffice.

This is valid only for RB-41, or i can use it for RB-51 too?

----------------

So the possibilities are:

A) Buy RB-41, connect 2.0 to the amplifier, connect my 5.1 (just the 2.0 channel of it) multimedia system to the amplifier "analog AUX output", disconnect the 5.1 Front Speakers and use "Stereo" input just for the subwoofer. Completing a 2.1 (2.0 = RB-41 & 0.1 = Edifier subwoofer).

B) Buy RB-51 and only use this. But i wanna know if my amp can handle it.

Thanks for your answer,

Well my idea, it's to change
my currently 5.1 multimedia speakers. (Edifier R501). In other words, i
currently have, this subwoofer (from the Edifier R501 system)...You
think it's a bad subwoofer for RB-41?

I am not familier with that Edifier R501 equipment. Can the subwoofer be used 'stand-alone' in that it does not need to be used with the satellites. Sometimes, those Home-Theater-in-a-Box (HTiB) the speakers and sub need to be hooked up together via propriatary cabling in order to work correctly (Bose, given how expensive thier Lifestyle systems are, are notoriaus for this). If the sub can be used as a stand-alone powered sub, again, certainly does not hurt to at least try it. I can't imagine that it is that great of a sub as far as subs go, but since you have it, might as well at least try it.

Okay, to anwer your original post, as long as it is working properly, that amplifier you have should be suffice.

This is valid only for RB-41, or i can use it for RB-51 too?

That is valid for any of the speakers you may get (RB-41, RB-51 or whatever else you may end up getting in the end). I still think that if you can swing it, go for the RB-51s.

----------------

So the possibilities are:

A) Buy RB-41, connect 2.0 to the amplifier, connect my 5.1 (just the 2.0 channel of it) multimedia system to the amplifier "analog AUX output", disconnect the 5.1 Front Speakers and use "Stereo" input just for the subwoofer. Completing a 2.1 (2.0 = RB-41 & 0.1 = Edifier subwoofer).

B) Buy RB-51 and only use this. But i wanna know if my amp can handle it.

'B' - you should be able to use the RB-51 with your amp. Your amp should be able to handle it, provided that you keep your volumn at reasonable levels. You can certainly try 'A' but use RB-51 instead of RB-41 if you can swing the extra cash. As long as you don't cranking things up to ridiculous levels, you should be fine in that you won't "break" anything. Certainly worth trying and you can always upgrade things in the future as you go along and get more money (i.e., better amp, better sub, etc). I am guesing you are pretty young, so you should have plenty of time to piece together a system of your dreams as time and money allows. A pair of RB-51s will certainly be a good start.

I am not familier with that Edifier R501 equipment. Can the subwoofer be used 'stand-alone' in that it does not need to be used with the satellites. Sometimes, those Home-Theater-in-a-Box (HTiB) the speakers and sub need to be hooked up together via propriatary cabling in order to work correctly (Bose, given how expensive thier Lifestyle systems are, are notoriaus for this). If the sub can be used as a stand-alone powered sub, again, certainly does not hurt to at least try it. I can't imagine that it is that great of a sub as far as subs go, but since you have it, might as well at least try it.

As i saw yesterday. The subwoofer feeds from 2 places.

- The center/subwoofer channel (Which is not working while playing music mp3, etc..because ( i think ) music is just a 2.0 source). This channel only works in movies, games, etc.

- The Front 2.0 input. Because If i reduce the front left and front right volume levels, subwoofer stop working too. But if i manually disconnect the front speakers, subwoofer is still working with the incoming 2.0 front signal.

------

BTW..if i can use well my amplifier with RB-51...i think i will buy this model and pick the B alternative.

I also know a person selling RB-61 II (used) with a similar price to the RB-51 II (new) (12% cheaper). But i think Now...this is really too much for my amp... :D

BTW..if i can use well my amplifier with RB-51...i think i will buy this model and pick the B alternative.

I also know a person selling RB-61 II (used) with a similar price to the RB-51 II (new) (12% cheaper). But i think Now...this is really too much for my amp... :D

Actually, your amp should work just fine for the RB-61s as well. I figured that going from the RB-41 to the RB-61 may be to much of a jump finacially, but if you can score a pair for about the same price as the RB-51s, then I'd say go for the 61s. It really does not take much power to drive Klipsch speakers to effective listening levels, so the approximatly 35 or so watts that your amp will produce for 8-ohm load will be plenty enough. Heck, there is one guy that is driving a pair of RB-61s with a dinky little 2-watt Bottlehead tube amp! The reason why I am estimating around 35 watts or so is because the RB-x1 speakers present an 8-ohm load, but the specs show 50 watts into a 6-ohm load, so realisically, you will
probably be getting around 30 to 35 watts or so out of that thing, and
even that may be generous as they tend to inflate those rating at times. Of course, compare that to the 200 watts/channel that I am driving a pair of RF-7s with in my upstairs rig.... [:D] I sure as hell hope the neighbors like Sonata Arctica! [6]

haha, I like some songs from Sonata Arctica.

I understood perfectly the estimated 35W calculation of

my amp.

In that case, if i use for instance a 5W (2x5W) potency

most of the time.

The 3 will sound just as

good, or the RB-41 will perform better in

5W?

In addition, there will be a balance between high and low?