new Klipsch owner: question about break-in and ear fatigue

denti

To answer your previous question, they were shipped FedEx Ground using a commercial account (which happened to be that of the purchaser). Regular FedEx/UPS cost about double that.

Typically it's the condition of the cab which dictates how much folks are willing to pay. They usually go for $300-$450. Give the cabinets a through check for damage, peeling veneer, water stains, condition of the grille, etc.

The passive radiators are exposed, at high risk for damage, and unfortunately are not cheap to replace, although small tears and such can be effectively repaired for next to nothing. So make sure the woofs and passive are intact. Make sure all drivers function.

Looks like these are still available and I may get them. What should I be asking about / listening for / looking for when I go to check these out. I don't want to end up with a pair that has been poorly worked on...

What year are these? He dosen't mention the crossovers? Did he update the capacitors? Or the whole crossover?

Take some of your favorite and familiar music and give a listen. As Ski Bum mentioned, the cabinets are the main thing, if they are in good shape, you can replace just about any thing else.

I just wonder why he mentioned everything else, Cabinets, Woofers, Diaphragms, passive radiators, but nothing about the electronics/crossovers?

Dennie

Details from an email:

" I took it upon my self to fix
them, and that eventually turned into overhauling the entire
speakers. I re-coned the drivers and and radiators, but the sound
wasn't quiet up to spec - so I bought the stuff new from Klipsch. I
sold the old drivers on ebay but still have the original re-coned
passive radiators (I'll throw these in as well - they look new and
go for about $125 new from Klipsch).

Here is what I updated:

-2x New 12" replacement speakers from Klipsch. These are not the
same speaker, they are upgraded models with paper surrounds.

-2x New 15" replacement rear passive radiators Klipsch. These are
not the same radiator, they are upgraded models with rubber
surrounds.

-2x New horn diaphragms from Klipsch

-2x New titanium tweeters from Bob Crites - way smoother than the
Klipsch ones.

-2x All new caps from Bob Crites - Way better performance than
original, real smooth.

All of this stuffed was sourced new from either directly from
Klipsch or Bob Crites.

The rest is original. All the parts, including the new Klipsch
drivers, perform better than originals. These speakers are matched
perfectly. And they are still breaking in. I did all the work
myself, including the crossover stuff. I am a hobby electronic guys
and build amps crossovers, etc... For the Bob Crites crossover
upgrades I still retained the original binding plates and
transformers from Klipsch. These speakers are good for the next
twenty years at regular day use."

I'm a total novice, so little of this means much to me. I take it, Dennie, you're not beingsarcastic in any way, and that this looks like a good deal...?

Correct! If they look good and sound good, they probably are.

Dennie

I was just like you when I bought my La Scalas. I went in and saw these huge speakers. I was a little overwhelmed by the size, smaller than a washing machine, but about the size of a dishwasher. They looked to be in good shape, although all original, including the electronics.

I didn't take anything with me,except the $1100. So, he searched for a CD to listen to. After about 5 minutes of standing there, I said don't worry about It, they look good, I'll take them. His wife said, "I think he wants to hear them one more time". I completely understood that, as he bought them brand new in 1979, when he was in medical school.

He found the CD and put it in the player. We sat down and listened for a couple of songs. I then handed him the money and he teared up as he counted my money. He then got up and started disconnecting them. I got up and helped. We loaded them into my truck and he stood at the door as I drove away.

I was hoping I didn't make a mistake, just like you'll do! I got them home at 7:30am and woke my neighbor up, to help me get them in the house, they weigh about 130lbs each. About a year later, I contacted Bob Crites and ordered new crossovers, which I didn't think I needed, as they sounded great. I replaced the crossovers and I couldn't believer how much better they sounded. Like someone removed a blanket off of the front of the speakers. They truly came to life.

Bottom line is: These are the best speakers I've ever heard and they are now in my will, if something should happen to me!

You'll be fine Denti. Use common sense, if something seems terribly wrong, it might be. But if they look good and sound good, they probably are.

Dennie