Bookshelf Speaker Recommendations

gtj105

Im looking to add Bookshelf speakers to my other "zone" in my house. I currently use the all reference series speakers RB-51 ii, RC-42 ii, and RS-41 for my HT and love them. Id really like to purchase the RB-61 ii for this zone and it will be used primarily for music.

My music source will primarily be MP3 and most of which is encoded at 320kbps. Not all of it is though, and as it stands now you can really hear some of the deficiencies with my current reference set up.

Will I be unhappy with the RB-61's as they will highlight the deficiencies to much? Any other speakers out there that would be a better fit for this application in the same price range?

Just looking for ideas, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Having owned 61's (great speakers) and now 3 pair of RB 5's I would say it has to do with where you can place them. If you have room to keep them off the wall I would find a pair of 5's (rear ported), but if that's not possible, the 61's front port design works well.

Look at used Heresy speakers. They are a bit large for bookshelf, but they might be a nice change of pace. They can operate on very low signel and still put out a lot of sound. They will blow away the rb61's, but are about twice the size.

Here are some that sold on ebay recently:

So you can see they are about the same price used as the RB61's new. And, you will never have any trouble getting your money back out of them.