Refreshing Cornwall Exteriors

Ok, I guess I'm a budding Klipschoholic (or Cornwall-holic). I recently bought another pair of Cornwall's (1983 vintage w/ B-2 crossovers & K-51-V mids). They where part of a stereo system I bought from the original owner that included "Cornwalls with custom Cherry cabinets". After getting them home to better light, I realized that they where not cherry and check the tag to find they are actually lacquered Rosewood.

The cabinets are in good shape with a few minor scratches and a couple of places where the laquer is crazing. I don't want to sand them down and refinish them so I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on how to recondition the current finish.

The grills also need a little attention. First, the fabric is starting to lift on the back side of the grills. What type of glue would you recommend to hold it back down. Second, just about every velco tab has detached itself from the grill. What would you suggest to reattach them (or should I just get new ones!). I did see some "Velco" glue at ACE hardware tonight and I wondered if anyone had tried it.

Thanks, Alan

BTW, they sound great! I realize my old abused Cornwall's may need a crossover rebuild after comparing the two.

With the lacquer "crazing", you may very well have to remove it and do a slight and light, fine grade re-sand.

Take a look at the following links and see if they give you some thoughts, ideas, etc. Applies to Heresy's and Cornwalls, but between the two, most options are discussed, including grills.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/110684.aspx

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/109693.aspx

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/117315.aspx

[H]

I really don't want to take on stripping, sanding, and refinishing them at this time. They are usable in the condition they are now, I was just hoping to find a way to minimize the imperfections! After a little more research, it looks like I might be leaning toward "reamalgamation" of the current finish. I just need to find out what type of lacquer Klipsch used to know if that would work. I have always love the look of rosewood Klipsch and I feel very fortunate to found a pair of rosewood Cornwall's I could afford (locally no less!). Someday, I may have the time to stripe them down and refinish them right, but for now, I just want to freshen them up a little!

Factory lacquer was/is VALSPAR #40 sheen clear coat. Have not "re-amalgamated" or straightened up "crazed lacquer", so I can't be of any qualified assistance in that regard. If..... I was to try it, I would probably wipe the surface down with lacquer thinner and simply let it dry and see if that straightened the problem out for you. The absolute worst that would happen is that it would lift the old lacquer, but at that point, you would simply remove all of it and then oil them instead of applying new lacquer. Rosewood also looks very nice with a light oil.

Hopefully you will be successful!

[H]