svs sub amp has died ( I think )

khorn#1

I was enjoying some music last night and on the third track my svs pb12/plus which I use for two channel as well as home theater went into a screaming hum to the point my wife came downstairs and thought some thing exploded. I ran over and cut the power. Did some checking to make sure nothing else was wrong which I was sure that the sub was at fault.

I have line level rca inputs coming from a Mcintosh preamp to the svs which are also rca connections. When I unhook the connections the unit is dead quite and when I plug them back in the hum is back. I even hooked another rca cable with nothing connected on the other end and the hum was just as bad. This is not some ground issue, if I increase the gain just a tad its very loud.

I run the gain about a third of the way or less when listening to music. It sounds like I have the neighborhood power grid in my room at that level. I hope the drivers are not damaged.

I took the plate amp out of the unit today and checked everything I new to check, unhooked all connection points and reconnected, check for burnt looking resistors, capacitors, etc. Found nothing wrong that I could see with my eye. Emailed svs and explained everything, they said it sounded like a bad connection block. Check that, it seem fine for what I could see. Thinking about getting my ohm meter out and do some checking, no some basics but thats about it.

New plate amp for this unit is $ 250.00 from svs. It may be what I need to do. the sub is 6 years old and has not been used very much. I have got about two years use out of this sub. I checked around the web and did not find anyone having any issues with this model. It has the 900 watt bash class d amp.

Any help or advice please,

Thanks, Randy

I was enjoying some music last night and on the third track my svs pb12/plus which I use for two channel as well as home theater went into a screaming hum to the point my wife came downstairs and thought some thing exploded. I ran over and cut the power. Did some checking to make sure nothing else was wrong which I was sure that the sub was at fault.

I have line level rca inputs coming from a Mcintosh preamp to the svs which are also rca connections. When I unhook the connections the unit is dead quite and when I plug them back in the hum is back. I even hooked another rca cable with nothing connected on the other end and the hum was just as bad. This is not some ground issue, if I increase the gain just a tad its very loud.

I run the gain about a third of the way or less when listening to music. It sounds like I have the neighborhood power grid in my room at that level. I hope the drivers are not damaged.

I took the plate amp out of the unit today and checked everything I new to check, unhooked all connection points and reconnected, check for burnt looking resistors, capacitors, etc. Found nothing wrong that I could see with my eye. Emailed svs and explained everything, they said it sounded like a bad connection block. Check that, it seem fine for what I could see. Thinking about getting my ohm meter out and do some checking, no some basics but thats about it.

New plate amp for this unit is $ 250.00 from svs. It may be what I need to do. the sub is 6 years old and has not been used very much. I have got about two years use out of this sub. I checked around the web and did not find anyone having any issues with this model. It has the 900 watt bash class d amp.

Any help or advice please,

Thanks, Randy

I would first disconnect the preamp to see if the noise is still there. If the noise goes away then connect a different signal source to see what happens and make sure you start with all the level controls at minimum and turn them up carefully. If it appears OK then you need to connect another amp to the output of your preamp and see what happens again starting with all the level controls to minimum. This test amp must have volume controls and ideally it is another sub similar to what you have.

Since you mentioned McIntosh Preamp does it have valves and if so one of the valves might have failed.

I was enjoying some music last night and on the third track my svs pb12/plus which I use for two channel as well as home theater went into a screaming hum to the point my wife came downstairs and thought some thing exploded. I ran over and cut the power. Did some checking to make sure nothing else was wrong which I was sure that the sub was at fault. I have line level rca inputs coming from a Mcintosh preamp to the svs which are also rca connections. When I unhook the connections the unit is dead quite and when I plug them back in the hum is back. I even hooked another rca cable with nothing connected on the other end and the hum was just as bad. This is not some ground issue, if I increase the gain just a tad its very loud. I run the gain about a third of the way or less when listening to music. It sounds like I have the neighborhood power grid in my room at that level. I hope the drivers are not damaged. I took the plate amp out of the unit today and checked everything I new to check, unhooked all connection points and reconnected, check for burnt looking resistors, capacitors, etc. Found nothing wrong that I could see with my eye. Emailed svs and explained everything, they said it sounded like a bad connection block. Check that, it seem fine for what I could see. Thinking about getting my ohm meter out and do some checking, no some basics but thats about it. New plate amp for this unit is $ 250.00 from svs. It may be what I need to do. the sub is 6 years old and has not been used very much. I have got about two years use out of this sub. I checked around the web and did not find anyone having any issues with this model. It has the 900 watt bash class d amp. Any help or advice please, Thanks, Randy

I would first disconnect the preamp to see if the noise is still there. If the noise goes away then connect a different signal source to see what happens and make sure you start with all the level controls at minimum and turn them up carefully. If it appears OK then you need to connect another amp to the output of your preamp and see what happens again starting with all the level controls to minimum. This test amp must have volume controls and ideally it is another sub similar to what you have.

Since you mentioned McIntosh Preamp does it have valves and if so one of the valves might have failed.

Try with another (2nd known good) source. Good luck!