HT with KSFs - Have 4 KSF 8.5 and a KSF-C5 - whats next?

Colinkr

I would like to finish off my 7.1 HT set up in my basement. Bought all these speakers when I was in college 3 yrs ago and then let a friend borrow them. Just bought a house and got them back. I am happily going to put them in a basement theatre.

Receiver: onkyo 7.1 tx sr603

Center: KSF C5

Front Speakers: KSF 8.5

Side: KSF 8.5

Rear Surrounds: NONE

Subwoofer: NONE

I want to spend maybe 400 more on speakers. Tight budget but perhaps you guys can talk me out of it.

Cheers,

Colin

PS: I realize these speakers are old now, and I should have posted this in 2000, but it is what it is.

Welcome to the forum! Old speakers still sound great! With your budget I would suggest spending all of it on a sub. There are some good Internet deals on subs in that price range. Klipsch RW-12d is regularly on sale for $350 on newegg.com. There are others like Emotiva and Epic that are good on-line companies. The rears are nice, but they have the least bang for your buck of all speakers you could buy, meanwhile the sub is the most noticeable change you can add to an HT.

Hey cornfedksboy thanks for the quick response!

I am so glad you said something, because I was going the opposite direction. I'll plan on purchasing the RW-12d then!

I have three questions (noted) below.

The 8.5s are not the bassiest and it did not take lots of parties in college to figure that out. And so, (1) do I have to change any of the crossover settings for integrating 8.5s and the RW-12d?

As for the room - currently its about a 6' 6" ceiling basement - maybe 20 by 30 area. I plan to cut it in half where a support beam dips a foot down, and make one half storage (20by 15) and one half the theater (20by15). I planned to put R-32 insulation on the ceiling and drywall. For the midwall separating basement halves I planned to put some 2by4s, R-32 insulation and drywall.

(2) Anyone have better ideas on what to build with?

Finally, one wall of the theatre is the stone foundation which I only planned to paint over - saving money and a bit of space. (3) Thoughts on the effect of the stonewall on HT?

Cheers,

Colin

Once you add the sub you will need to change your settings to "sub - yes" and you will probably want your fronts around 60-80 Hz and your center and surrounds at 70-80Hz. Ar for a stone wall, that can (but doesn't always) cause havoc on surround sound. Adding some sort of acoustic paneling with be a great idea. Also, go to avsforum.com for more info than you could ever imagine on HT construction.

Colin,

Confed is spot on......

Most every speaker I own (except for the sub) is old/ used......

Good Luck on your sub hunt.... I suggest local craigslist.

Hsu, Velodyne, SVS, Emotiva, Epik, ED and others like Rythmik all make really good to great products.

(I am not big on Klipsch subs; but theReference subs are pretty good; if a bit pricey. Not sure about the latest offerings).

Wow.... that's a big question.

My advice is to do a quick Google search on whatever item you see on CL that you are considering.

As for new; Emotiva Ultra 12 can be had (when on sale) for ~$389.

It is a great deal because they give a 5 year warranty on all parts that is transferable.

I do not remember which model Big Cliff has, but he loves his Hsu STF ****** (something) and the price was comparable to my Emotiva.

I wish I was more help, but I still do not know which models are worth it and which are not. (I use the above method).

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a HSU STF-2 off craigslist. Carried it home on the bus- back was aching. Cost me 280.

Next I need to find some rear surrounds and some cables (going monoprice.com for those).

Also, anyone know if banana clips can be used with the KSF-8.5?

Thank for your help!

Cheers,

Colin