Early stages of a k horn build

woodychips

Hi all ,

I am 54 years young and going through a mid life crises as so the wife says and want to build some k horns.I have a well equipped work shop and can't wait to start these puppies .So far I have the Speaker Lab plans and some metric ones from the internet .I have ordered parts from Mr Crites : cw1526c woofers , ct125 tweets ,Pd-5th mids , k-401 composites from a Klipsch supplier and the a4500 crossovers .I thought I had enough to go on but a when I study the speaker lab plans One sees the woofer board is 1 inch wider than the metric plans and since the speaker lab plans were supposed to be a good copy , who is right? The plan was to use the speaker lab plans and fine tune them to look like the original K horns with some improvements such as 3/4 ply for panels behind the woofer.One wonders if this upgrade was why the four corner blocks were clipped on the original K's and to allow for the change in volume behind the woofer.

I was hoping some one else has ran into the same problem and can point me in the right direction.I have spent hours scouring the internet and find more questions than answers , so here goes :

1) has anyone compared speaker labs or the metric plans to the original K's for accuracy

2) any other better plans out there

3)also speaker lab plans a attach the woofer to a 3/4 plywood and the metric use 1/2 inch.Any one know what the originals used?

It seems that most are happy in the end building the speaker lab versions as I am sure I will be , but if I need to make some changes or change course before I start would be a great help to the build.

Thanks to all that may take the time to read my post and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks from Marvin

from the soon to be cold Saskatchewan

Yep this is a winter project