<Help Building a Reference 5.1 HT> + <"RS-41 is for 5.1 or just 7.1?">

thesebastian

Hello, i want to buy a 5.1 home theater. I was thinking in
buy the RB-41 II Home Theater System.( I'm not an experienced person in Hi-fi or Home Theater Audio).

t223_c1a6dfdff13c565693e6d633342edc0d.jp

So the 1st question is:

Is this Onkyo Receiver good enough for RB-41 5.1 system or im just chosing a bad receiver?

- RB-41 II (Front Left and Front Right)

- RC-42 II (Center)

- SW-308 (Subwoofer) (Maybe i will change it for a cheaper Klipsch's Subwoofer).

- RS-41 II (Surround, i have my doubts about the location in the 2nd questions) OR RB-41 II (Surround)

TX-NR509(

TX-NR509(

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR509&class=Receiver&p=f

The 2nd questions are about the surround speakers.

RS-41 II are good for 5.1 HT? Or they just for a 7.1 HT?

In case they are for 5.1...what's better for 5.1...a pair of "RS-41 II" or a pair of another "RB-41 II"?

In case that RS-41 II is the best pick, could you give me some advice about their location? Since they are like "180º" speakers i don't know how to locate them. I saw a lot of RS-41 speakers just to the sidel...but in 7.1 systems, not in 5.1 systems.

I accept any suggestions, sorry about my English, isn't very well.

I will use the HT for Bluray playback, TV, Games, Music, etc.

Thanks and regards,

Sebastian.

Hello Sebastian,

I cannot help you with your speaker questions since I have not heard these myself. I can help you with your receiver question though. The Onkyo should be enough to push these speakers as long as you don't want it to play very loud. I do however have a much nicer Onkyo receiver that I am trying to upgrade. It is the Onkyo TX SR-607. It is a 7.2 receiver with 700 total watts of power while the TX-NR509 is 5.1 with 400 watts. This would power your speakers much better and it is only 8 or 9 months old and in perfect condition. I would sell it to you for $225 plus shipping. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks for your answer themrclean, so this onkyo really do not abound in power? Because RB-41 HT needs about 50W RMS @ 8 ohms per speaker. And this amps gives 80W @ 8 ohms per channel. (I tough it was "maybe" a bad choice because maybe the extra 30W Watts (80W) are bad for 50W speakers, but wasn't thinking its still not enough).

About your Onkyo, i really considered your offer, but i have 2 problems..One is that i need HDMI 1.4 because i will use it with a 3DTV 1.4 Hdmi. And the other problem is that i don't live in USA, my parents will go to miami in October. So they will buy the amplifier there..maybe at "bestbuy" or something like that...

If you are going to be running 3D then you definitely want a receiver with HDMI 1.4. As far as the wattage, you never get the actual wattage per channel with all channels driven as advertised. Running all 5 channels you will probably be closer to 35 watts per channel. It is sort of an advertising gimmick but almost every company does it. It will probably be enough to make those speakers sound fine though since they are so efficient. Good luck with your home theater.