Headphones amp

Cruzer

I just got a pair of HD-600s and will like to know if anyone is using an amp with them. I paid $170.00 here in Germany, they sound great on the receiver, Denon 3300, but I also heard that they will sound even better if driven with an amp. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

------------------

Cruzer

If you check out the headroom website (at http://www.headphone.com ) they have a lot of stuff to say about dedicated headphone amps and the Sennheiser HD600. Also check out the enjoy the music review of headphone amps using the HD600 at http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0402/headroomsennheiser.htm

I was looking for a quote I recall seeing someplace, think it was in an ad for someone's dedicated headphone amp, in which they said (to paraphrase) "...we thought we knew how good the HD600's were, but they are even better than we thought. Every time we substitute a superior amp, the sound of the phones just keeps getting better. We still don't really know how good they sound."

I'd suggest carrying the phones to a dealer who carries some of the more esoteric amps (Cary 300sei, that sort of thing) along with some tunes you like, and listen for yourself.

I have a pair of HD600, (HOW DID YOU GET THAT PRICE????????) and I hear significant differences between every amp I've used with them. Some for the better, some not, but they all sounded different. Right now I'm sort of hardware constrained, and I'm driving them with an old Rotel integrated amp, the RA850BX2. It actually is quite a good match - the Rotel doesn't use an opamp to drive the headphone output, it actually runs the headphone jack off the output section in parallel with the speaker binding posts. It has a very simple circuit, is a low power (35 watt, I think) integrated design, and sounds really good with both the Klipsch and the Sennheisers.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I have a pair of HD600's and love them. I use a Headroom Max amp. There is no comparison between running the phones with and without an amp. When I first heard about headphone amps I thought how stupid. Then I listened to the Max. The cost is roughly ten times what you paid for your HD600's around 1700.00 new 600.00 used.

I also have Headroom "Air Head" which is a portable amp. I had it modified with Black gate Caps. It runs off of 2 AA batteries. All the Headroom amps have a processor in them that mixes a small amount of left and right channel to both ears while adding a small amount of delay. That's an over simplification of what it does but it sounds great. It sounds more open and natural as well as less fatiguing.

Have fun and good listening,

Jeff

------------------

Home Theater Room

Cornwalls Main fronts ALK Networks

Heresy Center run parallel with KLF-C7 Center

IW-150 Rears

KSW-12 200watt Sub (na)

Anthem AVM20 Preamp

5 Adcom 555s Modified By Musical designs

all mono Block

Toshiba 9200 DVD

Echostar 5100 DD Satellite

Listening Room

Cornwalls (not modified yet)

Cary Rocket 88

Anthem Pre L2 SE

Rotel RCD 991

Thanks Guys for your replies and comments. I guess that I got them for that price because they are made here in Germany. I have to say THANKS again, because if I did not heard about the HD600 here in this forum, I probably be still looking for an answer....

------------------

Cruzer