Onkyo or Denon?

toaster

I am putting together a home theater system and have the speakers pretty much picked out. I am gonna get the Klipsch RF-3's and matching rears, center, and 12" sub or similar setup with JBL speakers for around the same cost per speaker(I forget the models). Anyway, my real question is about a reciever for them. I have had Denon stuff before and have been happy, but have heard very good things about Onkyo recently from a few friends. I am looking at the Deneon 3802 or 4802 or the Onkyo 797 or 898 recievers. Just wondering if anyone had these recievers or had any input on them. Which one will be better for the speakers? Will I even notice a quality difference between the four? Which will be a better value?

I watch lots of DVD's and will most likely run my comp through the speakers at some point to play video games with the new speakers if that makes a difference. Apart from that music is on constantly at my house. Any input is much appreciated.

toaster

Recreational Proffesional

Denon's and onkyo's are very good. A like pioneer with my RF-3 over those two. It has a good control with their MOSFET's.

If you want to stretch it some more you can check out the new marantz SR-9200. Have heared several times it is better than the denon AVR 5803 in sound quality and features for less $!!

For the onkyo's, watch out for the fan noise!!

Also check how loud the lowest volume setting is. The denon's and in minor the onkyo's still play to loud at their lowest volume setting specially with klipsch speakers!! (just for some background music!!)

Yeh, connect your PC via an optical link to your receiver and enjoy the sound quality. You can even sent an ac-3 or dts bit stream to your receiver, depending on your sound-card. I have the fortissimo II(it has direct optical in/out-puts).

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-909RDS

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3 tFTP

Rear: RF-3 tFTP

Center: RC-3 tFTP

SubW: KSW-12

I'll cast my typical Denon hat into the ring. I have thoroughly enjoyed my Denon 4800/5200 combo. It has plenty of power for loud listening sessions but I would have to gently disagree that the Denon's play too loud for even background music. When I rotate to a -50dB or so, there is just enough volume to talk over and not be offensive (and that's with Forte II mains).

One thing I really enjoy on the Denon is the 5-ch/7-ch stereo option which does not add any DSP processing to your source and you get great surround sound for CD listening. I would think for games it would be pretty cool as well. Either Denon (3802/4802) would be a great unit. I certainly would like to have PLII on my system and the feature of adjustable cross-over points on the 4802 is a great idea. Price between the two is kinda steep, but with Klipsch efficiency, you certainly wouldn't need the extra wattage from the 4802. Good luck!

jhawk92,

It is just a minor issue, but you should check while buying a new receiver with klipsch speakers.

My Pioneer goes from -80dB up to +12dB.

From ---dB(no Sound) to -80dB I have to put my ear in the horn of my RF-3's to hear some wispering. From that point it goes very smooth up. At -60dB you will hear a background music that can IMO already be to loud in some occasions. If I compare other receivers with the pioneer they don't have the range from -80 to -60 dB. The receiver is not al the way responsible for this, it also depends on the input source.