Volume diffences

derrickdj1

I notice when I watch cable tv that the volume for comfortable listening is different than when I am playing music. I use -30 for tv. Blue-ray, dvd, internet radio, and music (cd/mp3) I get a similar volume at -40-50. Is this a normal finding? I use multiple channels for tv and music.

Is this a normal finding?

Yes. Standard 16 bit digital audio has ~96dB dynamic range at the engineer's disposal. Although seldom taken advantage of for technical reasons, it leaves a wide margin for variation in source levels. Factor in compression used in broadcast material and levels end up all over the place. So it's not unusual at all to be adjusting the volume control as you swap input signals.

It's interesting that your TV volume control level is higher than for movies. It's usually the other way around. Unless the dynamic range of those sources are purposefully set to minimum (compressed). [*-)]

Some receivers change listening mode depending on signal source. The TV may be coming in PCM, which may go into something like stereo mode, for instance. In my Onkyo and Integra equipment, this auto stuff is configurable. Perhaps you should look at the listening mode, and see if it is changing.

Mustang, you are correct, the tv audio is PCM and dose not give me the option of sending the signal as dolby. I can use the ALC (auto level control) on the recieve, this allow me to rasie or lowe an effect function that affect stereo listening. I will toy around with this receiver some more, lol. This volume difference is not neccessarily a problem, but I like understanding my system so that I can get the most out of it[^o)].