AW-525 real world impedance??

mrmumbels

I know the impedance on these is 8ohm but when tested with a digital multimeter I get about 4.9. Is this normal? I tested because my stereo was going into protection mode and I thoguht maybe I blew a speaker and the impedance shot up or down but both speakers still sound great and are both showing a 4.7 ohm resistance. Anyone have a set they can test and get back to me?

• Klipsch Employees

You are seeing the DCR ( Direct Current Resistance) of the woofer.The meter can not read the HF part of the network or tweeter because it uses a battery to provide voltage to test with. The HF (high frequency) section of the network will not allow the DC to pass. Thus, you don't "see" it with the meter.

I will say that you need to test the leads at the amp to make sure that you have no wire issues or speaker issues.

The truth is, there is no such thing as a 8 Ohm speaker. The speaker in question will have an impedance range from about 4.5 - 50 Ohms depending on the frequency at which tested. We now use the work "compatible" when describing the speaker. Its more accurate.

So, yes. The speaker is reading fine with 4.7 Ohms at 0 Hz

Ohm and Hertz are both last names of the men that first understood how that all works.

• Like 1