Klipsch f-30 5.1 speaker pack running off yamaha rx-v667 reciever!!!

mymps11

Hey guys,

Firstly id just like to introduce myself, my names mitch and im new to the world of home theatre so please bear with me[:)].

Im picking it up as i go and if i look back to when i first setup my system i really have come a long way as far as my knowledge but still have so much more to learn.

Just a few questions

Firstly i am wondering what the best bass crossover setting is for the klisch 5.1 speaker pack which consists of the f-30 floor standers, c20 center and s20 surrounds?

Secondly i know its abit late to be asking now but i have doubts that the yamaha rx-v667 reciever is up to the task of running these speakers, i put good faith in the guys at my local hifi store that they recommended an adequate reciever for the job. Will this reciever properly power these speakers or will it be underpowering them?

And lastly is bi-amping recommended and a good option with the yamaha reciever i have?

Thanks in advance i really appreciate any help

Mitch[:)]

Mitch,

Welcome to the forum.

Firstly i am wondering what the best bass crossover setting is for the klisch 5.1 speaker pack which consists of the f-30 floor standers, c20 center and s20 surrounds?

My school of thought is start at 80Hz and go from there. Test different crossover settings and keep it at what sounds best to you.

Secondly i know its abit late to be asking now but i have doubts that the yamaha rx-v667 reciever is up to the task of running these speakers, i put good faith in the guys at my local hifi store that they recommended an adequate reciever for the job. Will this reciever properly power these speakers or will it be underpowering them?

Your Yamaha will work just fine. If for whatever reason you feel it is lacking that ooomph later on, just add an outboard 2-channel or multichannel amp. Your 667 does have multichannel preouts so it is fully equipped to do so.

And lastly is bi-amping recommended and a good option with the yamaha reciever i have?

Others may disagree, but the type of biamping your manual suggests offers very little benefits.

Bill

Thanks for the welcome and such quick reply bill, much appreciated[:)]

If i may ask a couple more questions, ive only just recently worked out that my speakers should all be set to small and found huge benifits in the sound quality, my question is could i have done and damage to the speakers from running them at large for say the first 6months of ownership? assuming i havent been pushing the speakers to the point of distortion?

Also another thing thats really hard to get my head around is all the various modes, ie surround decode, straight, then u have the music and movie button on the remote which gives u 7 channel mode, pro logic 1 pro logic 2, neo 6 cinima movie/music etc. I have it on straight atm but am unsure if this is the correct mode.

Last but not least my ps3 which i use to play the bluerays, now mayby u could explain the correct way to optimise the ps3 setting for the best sound? I know ive changed various settings from lpcm i think it was too bitstream(as advised by my hifi shop)? does this sound correct? If you can recomend the best settings ill happily try them out

Thanks heaps mitch

If i may ask a couple more questions, ive only just recently worked out that my speakers should all be set to small and found huge benifits in the sound quality, my question is could i have done and damage to the speakers from running them at large for say the first 6months of ownership? assuming i havent been pushing the speakers to the point of distortion?

If you have not gone too crazy with the volume for extended periods, you'll be fine. Your speakers will only play frequencies that they have been engineered to play. If you have not been bottoming out your main speakers' woofers, no harm done.

Last but not least my ps3 which i use to play the bluerays, now mayby u could explain the correct way to optimise the ps3 setting for the best sound? I know ive changed various settings from lpcm i think it was too bitstream(as advised by my hifi shop)? does this sound correct? If you can recomend the best settings ill happily try them out

If your PS3 gives you the option of LPCM or bitstream, bitstream would allow your Yamaha to do the decoding and your receiver will light up with Dolby TrueHD or DTS HDMA.

Bill

Hi and welcome to the forum,I also own a Yamaha a year older than yours a rx-v 665 w Klipsch H/T 500 smalls and a 8in pwrd sub.At first I was pretty excited ,this was my first seperates and a huge improvement over my privious htib.Now as I pushed it a wee bit it clipped on more than a few occasions and I wasn't to happy about that.After confering w/ many here and on other forum all agreed to go w/ the pre/outs and add an independent amp.I did and it was the best decision in the audio field I ever made.About all those sound fields and settings on the remote ,to me they are a waste of time and should have been excluded. Chamber hall,Roxy Theater,Viennna something it's nonsense and all it does is add varying degrees of echo and delay.I usually keep mine on 7chl w/ all speakers being equal and xover at 80. Look those settings are a personal thing try them or not, me no...My usual tv volume level is -34-28.

H/T---Tosiba au37 flat screen>Yamaha RX-V665 avr>Denon1940ci cdp>Yamaha YSD dock w/ 3rd gen i-pod>Tosibabx2200blu/ray>Sony 335 5disc carosel player

2CHL--Adcom gfa555 200wpc >Onkyo P-301 pre> Infinty SM112s refoamed> Shure Pro 240 headphones>Signal Cable ICs all devices played through both systems at my liesure.

also to make sure I went back and when you use either the straight or 2-chl mode your cutting out your rears.Me, I want all the speakers I bought to work.