Heresy like clone for surround duty

The Dude

Im just board, and was thinking of building a Heresy like clone for my some what Heritage like 5.1 ht. In another post I asked if I should stick with my Heresies or go with my Fortes. I am using for the front 3, 2 Khorn bass bins and 1 Lascala with Altec 511b/k55v, and Selenium HM17-25D/220Ti.

First the main reason I went with the Altecs is for the price, I traded some blown older Kustom colums for the 3 horns. I was thinking of upgrading to some of Gothovers midhorns, I would probably use the same horn for all 3 up front on the mid. Still use the Seleniums for the tweets. I haven't built any tophats in stone yet so new construction isn't a big deal.

If I was to do this what does anyone think to use for a mid if I was to build a Heresy like clone. Would it be ok to make a 2 way or is there a good mid that would match with either of the mids I am/or would use. I obviously would need something that would fit in the size of a Heresy cab. No size of the cabinet doesn't matter. However I would like to keep the Heresy look is all.

I have seen both Gothover, and Bob Crites build a Heresy or Forte like clone(I think but don't quote me on that). Would either of these work for my Surrounds. I think I will use that cleat system I have seen some use to hang speakers on the wall gives them a bit of a angle down and looks nice.

Like I said just board and pondering ideas.

Thanks.

I am considering the same for an alternative to Heresies. I had an audio get together at my home a few weeks ago, and a friend brought over his DIY Econowave speakers. Here's a link to a Make magazine article on converting a pair of vintage Advent two-ways into an Econowave waveguide-type speaker.

http://makeprojects.com/Project/Econowave-Speakers/181/1

We compared his Econowaves to my updated Forte II's (Crites Titanium tweeter diaphragm, Crites crossover upgrade kit, new 12 ga internal wiring and new binding posts). Although my Forte II's sounded better, I was impressed with the Econowave's efficiency, smooth midrange, bass definition and dispersion. These are great for home theater since the sweet spot is so large. They don't have the Klipsch Heritage series sound, I can see where many Klipsch enthusiasts would still like them. The expense to build a pair using exisitng vintage speakers is minimal and the results are impressive.

My same friend brought his same pair of Econowave speakers to a tube audio enthusiasts' gathering at a San Francisco museum auditorium, and they compared favorably with a pair of stock Klipsch Chorus II's that the group uses at the museum. It simply was amazing that both speakers could fill a small auditorium with clean musical sound.

These are some of the speakers I was looking at building. For the price maybe you could give them a try and see how they compare.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/crites-cs-1-speaker-project.html

or

http://mysite.verizon.net/res12il11/id116.html

I am looking at the concept of something like these for my surrounds but they may be great for you as well.

Good luck with your search as well, hopefully someone with a vas of knowledge will chime in on our post and give us a hand.

I know the surround aren't that important but It will both me if I know they aren't a closer match, plus I want to you my actually Klipsch Heresies for my 2 channel once I sell my Fortes.

As for me you are right about the cost of these speakers and what you get out of them that is why I chose them, plus to play with upgrades aren't that costly.

I guess the Drift isn't much a of a Heresies clone, just small like one. One of the reasons I was thinking of these, was for some reason I guess I felt since Dave built them they would match some of his Khorn upgrades but they might not.

They still look like a great little speaker though.