AP12 / ALK UNI QUESTION

sootshe

Can someone help me with the above combination?................I'd like to construct an AP12-500 & use the high frequency section from the uni.............I've looked on Al's site & found the following.........ES to Uni connection.........ES to ES connection..........& ES to Uni connection.........But no AP12 to Uni connection....................yes, I know the AP12 is a direct alternative for the ES, but there seems to be 3 wire connections, bi amp connections, etc....................on his site it says not to use the transformer on the ES500 when you connect it to the uni, yet somewhere else it says to use the tranny on the AP12 when connecting to the uni.............................

What I really need, if someone has the time & patience, is a diagram like the one attached,showing which part of the uni fits in to the AP12........ I don't really need it to be in 2 seperate sections (it could all be on the one board) & I don't really need it to be bi-wireable or convertible from 2 way to 3 way........just the basic AP12-500 with the Uni top end...........................I've looked at all the schematics but I'm not able to transfer that into a workable project...................if I had a diagram like the one attached & with the pictures on ALK's site I could construct it OK..........thanks for any assistance......John

post-32839-13819684003966_thumb.gif

Thanks Speakerfritz........yes, found that diagram too, but I don't want to build the whole uni network, just the required part to go with the AP12-500.

The AP12 is a low pass for the woofer and half of the bandpass for the mid driver. you would need the other half of the mid driver band pass circut thats on the universal as well as the complete tweeter hi pass section.

so in the schematic for the universal, the woofer parts circled are not needed.

post-22082-13819684009276_thumb.gif

but to be honest with you, id build it as designed so that it can be trouble shooted easier and it would be easier to sell if you ever upgraded. you are not saving much money by cutting out the woofer low pass.

post-22082-13819684010266_thumb.gif

Yes, I hear what you are saying......I already have an ALK uni, so I want to sell that & make this new crossover up.

So if I was to remove the low frequency section it should be OK? Remove fuse from input low , through to inductor & remove inductor & wire from barrier block woofer +, remove 39 & 1 uf capacitors & wire going to input high & Bi amp input........then connect the AP12-500 from the mid out to the bi amp in & the input high on the uni (after removing the strap on the AP12..........Quote from ALK - "The network will operate in a 2-way system using the autotransformer

to equalize the level to a wide range driver such as the Altec 902-8 with the

woofer using the 2-way strap. By removing the 2-way strap an external

crossover can be connected to transition between a squawker such as the

Klipsch K55V or K55M and a tweeter in a three-way system. The squawker can

utilize the same autotransformer. Three-way operation is recommended as not

many drivers will operate safely from 500 Hz up." end quote............... .if this is going to work, do I put the transformer to attenuate the mids on the AP12 or the uni?

Thanks,

John