KP-201 and KP-4000-C

benners

Hi everyone,

I currently own a pair of the KP-201 (i.e. Heresy II pro) and wanted to add bass to the setup as I primarily use these for DJing dance music. The KP-201's are great on the high end (classic Klipsch sound) but lack any sort of bottom.

I now have a chance to add a pair of KP-4000-C to them and it seems like a perfect fit. Has anyone tried this before with success? I've seen people here pair the KP-250's with the 4000's, but never the 201's.

I've been a lurker for some time and appreciate all the knowledge in these forums about vintage Klipsch!

The built in passive is at 150 hz (usually marked as CX network) which protects the heck out of a 201, but in my opinion is too high for a true 'sub'. I think that top of the sub region gets sounding awfully squonky. If you're using active, experiment with 100-120 and remember to carve out a little hole in the crossover region because the speakers acoustically sum i.e. you don't necessarily have both side of the network at 120, depending on how you adjust the roll off. Placement will also be key, if you have them stacked together push the tops back a bit to time align the drivers better (aim to have woofer voice coils in the same plane) .

yes you'll need 4 channels of amplification. That BGW is an old workhorse, plenty of balls if it sounds clean. I have an old 150 in the workshop and it's caps are degrading a bit. Let us know how it works out. You should do some fine tuning with the crossover before attempting any system eq, it's amazing how good you can get a system with just careful xover control.