Cornwall Specifications from Type I (vert.) to Type I (horiz.) to Type 1.5 to Type II to Type III

Alpha220

Just wondering if any one (or between all the members) we could come up with the specifications for each model of the Cornwall (or at least more accurate than is easily available now). Specifications seem to have changed slightly across the models. With which component / Cornwall model did the bass extend lower, the highs extend higher, the SPL raise, etc.? Did crossover points vary with each of the four or five Cornwall crossover variations?

It'd be interesting to have the full specifications for each model, including frequency response, weight, etc.

I'll get the ball rolling with an easy few. Just from these samples, low end, high end, efficiency and freq. resp. flatness vary considerably.

Cornwall Specifications (from 1980 Klipsch brochure)
• DIMENSIONS: 35.75" H x 25.5" W x 15.5" D
• FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 38Hz - 17 kHz +/-5db
• SENSITIVITY: 98 db @ 1watt/1meter

Cornwall Specficiations (from Klipsch website, for discontinued models, not clear which year these are referencing)
¦BUILT FROM: 1959
¦BUILT UNTIL: 1985
¦DIMENSIONS: 35.75" x 25.5" x 15.5"
¦ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Birch Plywood or Veneered Lumbercore
¦ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via front-mounted port
¦FINISHES: Walnut, Rose, Teak Oil, Oak, Cherry Lacquer, Natural, Mahogany, Maple, Raw, Black Birch
¦FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 38Hz-20kHz +/-5dB
¦HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn
¦MID FREQUENCY HORN: 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn
¦MIDRANGE: K-55-V 2" (5.08cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver
¦NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms
¦POWER HANDLING: 105 watts maximum continuous (1000 watts peak)
¦SENSITIVITY: 98.5dB @ 1watt/1meter
¦TWEETER: K-77-M 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver
¦WEIGHT: 108 lbs.
¦WOOFER: K-33 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone

Cornwall III Specifications (from Klipsch website)
• BUILT FROM: 2006
• CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: HF: 5000Hz ?LF: 800Hz
• DIMENSIONS: 35.75" H (90.81cm) x 25.31" W (64.29cm) x 15.5" D (39.37cm)
• ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: MDF
• ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via front slot ports
• FINISHES: Walnut Lacquer, Cherry Lacquer, Black Lacquer
• FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 34Hz - 20 kHz +/-3db
• HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: K-79-T Tractrix
• MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 119db
• MID FREQUENCY HORN: Exponential Horn
• MIDRANGE: K-53-TI 1.75" (4.45 cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver
• NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms
• POWER HANDLING: 100w max continuous (400 w peak)
• SENSITIVITY: 102 db @ 1watt/1meter
• TWEETER: K-107-TI 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver
• WEIGHT: 98 lbs
• WOOFER: K-33-E 15" (38.1cm) Fiber composite cone

Well, let's see. My Cornwalls are verticals, made in 1974. Crossover points are 600 hz and 5000 hz. Crossovers are type Bs. Tweeters are K-77s, mids hammertone grey K-55s. Woofers are coffee colored square magnet K-33s with fiber composite (who are we kidding here - paper) cones. Frequency response is 38 - 17,500 hz. The cabinets are made of fir plywood with visible plugs. Not at all ready to stain, regardless of what the ads of the time said. SPL 98.5 db at 1 watt / 1 meter. Weight and dimentions as above.

Earlier CWs had 1000 hz and 5000 hz crossovers and the same 1000 hz horn used in first Heresies and the Shorthorns. They also used Jensen woofers.

The driver and response "specs" for the verticals and horizontals are the same. The "vertical" was designed to be placed on it's side as a center speaker with a lower "profile".

The cabinet size has not changed at all; and the driver layout has not changed (except verticals) since the inception of the model.

A discussion of the differences between the models, including construction materials, finishes, drivers and crossovers, can be found here: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/103886.aspx

While that reference guide is very helpful, I'm more interested in seeing how and when (and perhaps, why) specifications changed. For instance, it seeems that both the bottom and top end frequency response was extended over time and it seems that efficiency increased, too.

In the end, I'm definitely wondering about the Cornwall 1.5's that I currently have, since there is little, clear documention regarding these transitional models. What are their specifications and how do they compare to older and newer models. For those interested in tweaking their Cornwalls, it'd be interesting to see how each driver and network affect sound and measurements.

For those looking to purchase pre-owned Cornwalls, it might help narrow down years/models, based on preferences.