Setup when main listening position is off center

Goon

How do you setup a system when the main listening position is NOT directly in front of the TV?

I'd like to adjust my girfriends system, but her main listening position is a couch to the right of the TV.

Do I place the SPL meter where the main listening position will be on the couch? Or do I put it where the theoretical sweet spot is?

------------------

Klipsch Epic CF-3s

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch RS-3 II Surrounds

Sunfire MKIV True Sub

Integra 8.2 Receiver

Pioneer DVD player

Monster Cable Interconnects and Speaker Cable

JVC 32' TV

This message has been edited by Goon on 05-17-2002 at 11:34 AM

Nope, can't move the couch left.

The room looks like this (forgive the ascii art)

- LF -/ TV /- RF --

---------------

-----------/ C /

-----------/ O /

-----------/ U /

-----------/ C /

-----------/ H /

- SL-------SR --

It can't be moved around.

I setup her system by ear originally, but since I've bought an SPL meter and Avia setup disk since then, I was going to do my best to fine tune. Its definitely not an ideal room layout.

------------------

Klipsch Epic CF-3s

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Sunfire MKIV True Sub

Integra 8.2 Receiver

Pioneer DVD player

JVC 32' TV

This message has been edited by Goon on 05-17-2002 at 02:11 PM

goon, i suggest before you do the level settings, set delays (does it allow a delay/distance for each individual speaker?), large/small (be aware you won't get a sub output tone from the avia unless you set speaks to small), before. those integra delays/distance settings should help compensate for the room/speaker layout. & i'd try to lay on the couch facing the tv as much as possible. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Boa, actually my signature contains MY equipment list. (Integra, Klipsch, etc..)

The room and equipment I'm trying to setup are my girlfriends.

She has a Yamaha receiver and Canton speakers. I don't think the Yamaha has distance settings, it does have levels and delay though. I'll have to see what I can do with that.

------------------

Klipsch Epic CF-3s

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Sunfire MKIV True Sub

Integra 8.2 Receiver

Pioneer DVD player

JVC 32' TV

Adjust for intended listening position. Will simply involve lowering the volume for speakers closest to listening position and increasing volume for speakers farther from listening position. Could be worse!

Keith

goon, yea ok. on the yammy as others distance & delay are the same thing. iow, the closer you set the distance in the receiver the more it delays it relative to the other speaker (or speaker group) distance settings.

i'd just set the distances according to/from the listening spot to the center of the speaker pairs.

center just from the spot to the center.

my fronts & sub are actually 12ft away so i set the distances there at 12. the center is actually 14ft, but i still set it at 12ft so the sound falls into the screen some. the rears are actually 10ft but i actually set them at 8ft to sorta give a longer soundstage effect. so iow, the center & rears are delayed a bit relative to the sound coming from the fronts & sub (the yammy probably doesn't have a distance setting for sub).

anyway it takes some playing around with to find what suits one. just subtle difs really.

but if the yammy delays both fronts the same that won't make any compensation for 1 front being further from the other as per the off-center seating arrangement.

as we say just set levels from the listening spot. the meter should show you the correct settings from there.

------------------

My Home Systems Page