Fair price for kg-4 pair? Any way to authenticate the woofers/horns/components?

sneakyimp

I'm considering purchasing some Klipsch kg-4 speakers from craiglist and was wondering how I might be sure they are authentic. The picture looks like the old light finish from the eighties rather than the black finish here on klipsch.com. Also, I'm concerned because of their age that they may have been repaired in the past, possibly with substandard parts.

What is a reasonable amount to pay for these speakers in the current market? Can the community recommend any tests or tricks to make sure they are legit and in good shape?

I'm considering purchasing some Klipsch kg-4 speakers from craiglist and was wondering how I might be sure they are authentic. The picture looks like the old light finish from the eighties rather than the black finish here on klipsch.com. Also, I'm concerned because of their age that they may have been repaired in the past, possibly with substandard parts.

What is a reasonable amount to pay for these speakers in the current market? Can the community recommend any tests or tricks to make sure they are legit and in good shape?

All valid concerns. If you study the specs here, you'll see they came in walnut, oak and black. Familiarize yourself with the dimensions, component types, etc. so you can see if the one you're looking at matches the specifications.

As for value, search eBay completed items, and do a search here in the Garage Sale forum. KG-4s are very common, and the prices are variable, of course depending on condition, location, etc.

Be sure to check that all drivers are operational (place your ear close to each while playing music, but don't turn it up too high!). Also you want to notice the condition of the foam surrounds. BTW, the "woofer" on the pack is a passive radiator.

Hope this helps. KG-4s were my first Klipsch speakers, and I loved 'em!