Fusing of Cornwall II's

RLJSHO

I have seen several postings in the last 2 months pertaining to inline fuses for Klipsch speakers. I am the original owner of a pair of wonderful Cornwall II's. I purchased on July of 1982. There have been no modifications to them. I am entertaining the idea of changing the crossovers, using Bob Crites complete boards. I am now using a new Marantz SR4023 receiver, with an amplifier rating of 80 watts, 8 ohms, with 0.08 thd 20hz-20khz. I own several other Yamaha, Marantz and McIntosh receivers and integrated amps with comparable thd specifications, but higher outputs up to 240 watts. As soon as I get them repaired and back up to operating condition, they may be substituted for the Marantz SR4023. I am also going to eventually install a Behringer Ultracurve Pro DEQ2496 equalizer, by removing the jumper from the preamp to amp connectors and installing the Behringer unit between the connectors. But first I am going to make a test configuration to fully educate myself on the Behringers functions and how to safefully operate it. I believe it would be a prudent move on my part to install fast blowing fuses for the Cornwall II's. I've read, on several forums, of damaging effects on speakers by making the wrong adjustment on an equalizer. What would be the correct value of a fast blowing fuse to protect my beloved Cornwall II's? Thank You. [Y]

I use 2.0 amp fast-blo fuses for my Corn IIs. The peak SPL we can tolerate in our room is 106 dB and more typically peaks of 94 dB. Never blown a fuse, but I _leave the tone controls at flat_. What are you trying to correct? Do you have an analyzer to see what the frequency response curve is? I would be very cautious about using an EQ with a set of valuable speakers like ours. If you are trying to get more low bass, you should have a steep (18 dB/octave at least) high-pass filter at about 25 Hz, and then carefully pull the 80 Hz slider down a bit to tame the Corn's inherent 80-100 Hz hump. You can carefully dial in more bass below the 80 Hz point. If you see much excursion on the part of the woofers, back of. Remember they were not designed for much excursion because they have a big tuned box to work. I'd leave the 6 Khz and up region alone. If you feel a need for more treble, buy Bob Crites CT-125s and see if you don't like those better than the K-77s. If you really want more bass, buy or build a good sub, set the crossover point 60 Hz and live happily ever after. Not only will you get more bass, the removal of low bass from the Corns takes some strain off the woofer and cleans up the lower midrange noticably.