Will my current Klipsch speakers do my new Lex MC-1 justice?

Robertd

I just posted a question about surrounds but this is a different question so I figure it needed a different post. I am currently trying out a used Lexicon MC-1 from a friend that I might buy from him. I am also on the list for an Outlaw 950 but that will be another month or so. Anyway I'll keep whichever I like best. In talking to many people I am getting conflicting opinions about my current speakers. Here's my current setup;

Center: Klipsch KSP C-6

Mains: Klipsch KSF 10.5

Sub: Klipsch KSW-150

Amp: Rotel RB985MK2

Pre: Lexicon MC1

Display: Toshiba 65HX81

A few people have told me that I am cheating my MC-1 with Klipsch Synergy speakers, that they are ok but I could do alot better for about a $1800-2300 expense for center, mains and surrounds with other brands (Diva Swans, Paradigm Reference 40's, etc). Some say the older Synergy series I have are perfectly fine, just get matching surrounds. What do you guys think? I would much prefer spending a few hundred on surrounds vs. all new speakers but I want to get the best sound I can afford from my MC-1. I don't want to waste money on the surround if I'll just be upgrading later. Decisions, decisions, help!

Rob

The Synergy series is a good speaker, but I do think there may be some validity to the idea that you are "underbuying" a bit on speakers, that is, compared to what most MC-1 owners would go with.

This does not mean that you cannot do it thoughSmile.gif

You must first trust your own ears. If you like Klipsch, don't let someone talk you out of it. Don't worry so much about what others think, when they aren't the ones listening to the gear that YOU paid for. The beauty of Klipsch is that they will show just how good the MC-1 and connected components are. Purchasing a clean processor such as the MC-1 (or the 950, for that matter) is a wise move with Klipsch.

The Synergy series is not considered the "high end" of the Klipsch line, but are nice speakers that will do a fine job with home theater. They will work just fine for now - or permanently, if you are happy with them. Buy the MC-1 or Outlaw 950, settle in with that for a while - then you can think speakers. If you feel the need to upgrade speakers you can always do that later. When you do, choose carefully, and "trust your ears". Your ears may tell you that your current Synergy's are OK. If you get thoughts of upgrade, I would encourage you to listen to other forum members systems as you get opportunities to do so, especially if you want to hear vintage models. (You want to hear vintage models)Smile.gif

I'll leave the surround suggestions to the Synergy owners on the forum.

Now, let me show you what can be done with Klipsch, if you want to spend 2000-2400 on speakersSmile.gif I was able to do this in six months of searching on the used market (mostly from this board).

Klipsch Cornwall IIs $700

Klipsch Academy $260

Klipsch Chorus $550

2 JBL 4638 bass bins (brand new!!) $432

Total spent on speakers $1942

Ability to achieve 115db SPL cleanly - Priceless!!

Not bad for what listed for over $6000 brand new. It sounds like brand new though, and that's what counts. Used Klipsch, properly cared for, will still outlast many of us. That's what I call a good investment.

I wanted these speakers, hunted them down, and paid reasonable prices. This board is a great resource for finding the Klipsch you really want, be it new or used.

Remember, trust your ears.

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains)

Klipsch Academy (center channel)

Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

H/K AVR 75 (used as pre/pro - will be upgraded soon)

Bass Kit:

2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets

Crown CE 1000 amplifier

Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources:

Pioneer DV-333

2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks

General Instruments cable box

Panasonic VHS PV-4459

Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 05-19-2002 at 09:52 PM

There are many who believe that putting money into speakers gives you, by far, the biggest bang for the buck in terms of upgrades.

If your friend is willing to give you his Lexicon, take it. Otherwise, as dndphishin says, I'd put the money into upgraded speakers out of the older Klipsch models. They will, IMHO, smoke anything you could buy today for the same money.

Then, after the speaker upgrade, consider component upgrades. I believe those will make improvements, but not on the scale that new speakers will.

And, please, don't take this that I don't like the Synergy speakers -- they are great. It's just that you will hear a world of difference with the models dndphishin suggests.

Doug

------------------

My System