Experiences with RF-5? Please comment

Mike D

Please comment on your observations of this speaker. I have been trying to get opinions on this particular model but have only been successful in finding opinions on the RF-3. I have heard the RF-3 with my own JoLida 302a and was impressed. I have heard the RF-5 with a terrible HT receiver with terrible zip cord in a terrible listenning environment. Those of you who are from Champaign, IL know the store I'm talking about. I could not make any quality observations under those conditions.

If I do purchase these speakers, they would be run with my Rogue M-120 amps in Triode mode with Svetlana KT-88s and Mullard 12s. My cables and power cords are all Harmonic tech. My preamp is BAT VK-3i with Visseaux and Mullard tubes. CDP is Wadia 830. Phono is Pro-Ject 6.1 with Grado Sonata. Tice Power Block 3c conditioner. Would this be a good match? My current speakers are Hales Rev. Three. I have a subwoofer so bass is not a concern. This is why I am cosidering the 5s over the 7s.

To purchase these speakers from the local dealer would cost me an extra $500. I can order them in maple wood for $1,000 BUT no warranty. How big of a factor is this? Couldn't I pay for any repairs and order parts my self if I blow them? I'm in no major hurry to purchase them as I am working getting engaged. However, I know that if I am going to buy them, I'd better do it now to avoid justifying the purchase to my future wife. Purchase would be made within a year.

Thank you,

Mike D

This message has been edited by Mike D on 05-20-2002 at 12:32 PM

Mike,

see my origional first post, and review of my RF-5s.

IMHO, they are incredable speakers, and you won't find much to touch them in this price range.

However, I would say, if you can consider the RF-7s, I would. They have a little more Umphhh than the 5s, though they sound tonally identicle.

Klipsch RF-5 - My Jaw is on the floor

Any specific questions you have, shoot. I still stand behind everything I said in that thread. These are truely amazing speakers, and they sound incredable with tubes.

Good luck, you can't go wrong with a set of 5s!

------------------

Barista T. Bill

This message has been edited by Barista on 05-20-2002 at 12:31 PM

Please comment on your observations of this speaker.

I have never heard the RF5. However, based on previous posts regarding this speaker the indication is that it is marvelous. As to the differences between it and the RF7 -- I do know that they are 'voiced' somewhat differently, with the RF5's strength being in the reproduction of voices. The RF7's strength would be higher efficiency, lower bass extension, and addtional dynamics, especially micro-dynamics. The RF7 uses the "better" HF driver. The RF5 uses the same driver as the RB5 & RF3, but with a larger horn assembly.

I have been trying to get opinions on this particular model but have only been successful in finding opinions on the RF-3. I have heard the RF-3 with my own JoLida 302a and was impressed. I have heard the RF-5 with a terrible HT receiver with terrible zip cord in a terrible listenning environment. Those of you who are from Champaign, IL know the store I'm talking about. I could not make any quality observations under those conditions.

I would not judge the sound coming out of any Klipsch speaker being powered with an el-cheapo HT receiver. I agree that this is almost a complete waste of time.

If I do purchase these speakers, they would be run with my Rogue M-120 amps in Triode mode with Svetlana KT-88s and Mullard 12s. My cables and power cords are all Harmonic tech. My preamp is BAT VK-3i with Visseaux and Mullard tubes. CDP is Wadia 830. Phono is Pro-Ject 6.1 with Grado Sonata. Tice Power Block 3c conditioner. Would this be a good match?

Nice setup. Yes, a good match. However, the RF7 would be a considerable leap in performance.

My current speakers are Hales Rev. Three. I have a subwoofer so bass is not a concern. This is why I am cosidering the 5s over the 7s.

The Hales huh? How did you end up with a pair of those 'sissy' speakersSmile.gif

Though the sub negates the difference in LF extension between the 5 & 7, you should not forget to consider that since the RF7's uses two 10's instead of two 8's -- the distortion levels at any given SPL will be lower with the RF7's, because the drivers simply do not have to move as much to produce to the same SPL as the RF5's. Also, since the RF7's have a larger front baffle -- the soundstage tends to be larger as well.

To purchase these speakers from the local dealer would cost me an extra $500. I can order them in maple wood for $1,000 BUT no warranty. How big of a factor is this?

When you say "these speakers", I am assuming you mean the RF5's? An extra $500 more than what? I don't really understand what you are saying here.

As far as a set of RF5's in maple for $1000 and no warranty -- I can only wonder who you would be buying them from with no warranty. Evidently they are not a Klipsch authorized dealer, and I would imagine you are not buying them from the same dealer that you heard them at.

At any rate, a good deal. And yes, if you blow a driver, you can always order a replacement driver from Klipsch and install it yourself. No biggie. However, you are not likely to blow a driver.

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>SuperAmpf>s> - Sonic Frontiers Line 1 - Sony DVP-S9000ES - Klipsch RF7's

SVS 20-39 CS Plus - Samson S1000 - HSU Research elec. crossover - MIT/Monsters

f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>c>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

I compared the RF3s and RF5s in a very rough A/B comparison at my store.

The counclusion, to my ears, is that the RF-5s are smoother and sound bigger and have more presence... but don't really sound THAT much different from the RF-3s, and certainly not enough to warrant the BIG jump in price.

HOWEVER, the listening room is pretty small, and I'm afraid the 5s overpowered that relatively small environment. I'm guessing there would be much more of an advantage to them in bigger rooms.

Rationally, however, I personally would either go for the 3s or the 7s, as the 7s just put you in another world.

Please keep in mind that most of my listening and therefore focus is on home theater listening, not two-channel. However, a lot of my testing is done in two channel to eliminate as many variables as possible.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection