Klipsch Forte w/ MiniWatt? Great synergy?

electriceye

Looking to go for tubes on my fortes, just wondering if anyone has used this combo? Or any modern tube integrated amps under say 600?

Also, how does the miniwatt compare to vintage tubes (Scott, sherwood)? I realize vintage stuff is probably the best bargain, but I don't really have the patience to get it restored. Just debating with myself wether it's worth the hassle to restore vintage tubes.

While amps like the miniwatt will get you started in the realm of tube amplifiers, it's not likely to compare with a properly restored vintage amp. If you have the knowledge to do the restoration yourself, that's a good way to proceed. Or, if you can go for a little more money, the Decware Zen is a proven design which has gotten extremely good press over the years both in terms of its sound and its reliability. Where are you located?

http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE84C.htm

I live in Des Moines, IA. There is a restored Sherwood S-5000 for 400 bucks up right now which seems slightly high, but I suppose if it's local and restored it may be an okay deal. Damn those things are ugly though. Actually don't quite have the money yet, waiting for taxes. I probably should go with old since I only play vinyl and would need a phono stage.

I'll def. look at the decware, thanks for the suggestion!

I would have to opine that it is worth the trouble. I have used two restored vintage integrateds for ten years, a Scott 299b and a Eico HF-81. Both have delivered much satisfaction for the dollars invested. You can probably find a good one already restored, and this forum is a good place to find one. I haven't heard the Miniwatt product but reviews seem to be lukewarm and qualify positive remarks with "for the tiny size" and "for tiny bucks." Your Forte speakers are efficient enough, but if I were going to go for a flea-powered amp it would be a 2A3 SET, which you can read about on this forum. These are famous for their clarity and warmth for vocal, jazz, acoustic, etc., but may lack the rattle the windows kind of slam a rock n' roller would demand. The vintage integrateds such as the Scotts give you the smooth, warmth of tubes and headroom (with efficient speakers) for any type of music. I seldom crank my 299 above 2 on the volume pot and never above 3. Bottlehead makes kits for 2A3 SET amps that have a great reputation. They have one called Stereomour, which is essentially their former Paramour monoblocks condensed as an integrated package for $750, so that may be a good option if you're really interested in a flea powered amp. For low-cost instant gratification and just over a hundred bucks, you could give a Topping Class T a try.

You're probably right jtice, I think I was just being somewhat shallow in that I like the way a lot of the modern tube integrated amps look... Also take some comfort in knowing I won't have to take it to the shop right away. I don't really like how any of the vintage amps look for the most part. Scotts are pretty high on my list of what I want to buy.

Any comments on the $400 for the restored Sherwood 5000, is that pretty high (or not)?