Pilot sp210 sa260 reveiw

juniper8

I will try not to make this to long. I finally received my amps back from repair, after what seemed to be a very long wait. Like all of us who persue this as a hobby, we all read about this piece or type of equipment, and more often than not, in our particular systems, many times, things dont pan out as expected for this reason or that. For the last couple of years, I have tried about 20 or so mid-fi, amp preamp combos and this is the best sound I have had in my system by a large margin except for one other amp. I have read that horns love tubes, but some vintage amps have many trade offs, in this area or that. I must say all of my fears of lack of bass, distortion, power, wooliness, and noise are completly gone. These amps do everything very well from top to bottom. Whenever I evaluate a new piece of EQ I try to make it as easy as possible. I use 20 or so very good recordings of many different types of music, and listen to very specific passages, that I have listened to hundreds of times, and then make my evaluation. These amps are so well rounded it is suprising. The bass is clear,strong and fast.with hardly any wooliness or decay. THIS REALLY SUPRISED ME. Of all the amps I have tried the bass is almost as good as the best . The mids are very well behaved and balanced and very natural. The highs are not as rolled off as much as I expected, they are very clear and precise with a delicacy that is hard to explain. Also these amps can image with the best I have had, and have that 3d, hollographic quality that makes you feel the music is all around you and not coming at you. These are WONDERFUL AMPS. THANKS TOO ALL OF YOU,who have provided so much sound knowledge, about all things audio, you have made my trek far easier than it should have been!!! Also thanks TUBEFANATIC for walking me through the tube amp rebuild process and putting up with some of my inane questions. Thanks Bill Lair formerly of Atma-sphere music systems, and TC tubes you did a great job!!!!