nad 7600

jess28

i just picked up for free a nad 7600 power envelope.i have done a tiny bit of research and found that back in the day and it was supposedly a really good stereo.Im asking because im going to pick up a new used pair of klipch and wanted to know if anybody has any experience with it new or old

That's one from the 'Monitor Series', made by Proton for NAD in their Taiwan factory in the late '80s. The amps are pretty beastly. (If memory serves, I think the 7600 had an amp that could be bridged mono for >1000 watts into a two ohm load or something ridiculous...of course you'd need to dig up a 2600 power amp to complement it in that case.)

It's pretty long in the tooth, so at this age it would be advisable to go through it thoroghly, or have a qualified technician do so. The caps in the power supply or other components may need replacement. If it does in fact need work, getting it back up to new condition is not typically expensive, but since it has a rather hot running pre-amp in there too, there are more parts which may show their age. For reference, I own similar Monitor Series kit (separates) which has needed repair/upkeep over the years; the amp was cheap, while the pre was less so, but not outrageous. Considering how much you paid for it, it's probably worth a little investment to get it into spec.

The good news: when operating up to spec, these old NADs work wonderfully with Klipsch, particularly Heritage/extended Heritage speakers. They have no issues with low impedances, have tons of headroom, and pretty much kick butt.

thats awesome,just what i wanted to hear.if i have to get it worked on its no big deal i got it for free.i had to sell my old set up onkyo 906 and a couple of adcom 555s which made my 63s sound amazing.I know some people dont like either of those with klipsch, but they worked great for me.even the 63s being driven by the onkyo alone sounded great (not schrill in the slightest) when i hooked those adcoms the 63s came to life.I'm happy i wont have to spend the money on new amps and recievers.i'm good with 2ch stereo for the moment.i'll keep my eye out for the 2600 amp, maybe i can pick one up for cheap if i like the 7600 pe.i got a nad cd player too which sounds way better than my ps3 and 360 might as well make it a complete set.

thanks for the info.