Best EMOTIVA preamp??

johnstms92

I'm in the market for a good pre-amp to match up with a pair of Yamaha MX-1000U's. I realize there is a matching Preamp, the CX-1000U out there, but I've read alot about emotiva's USP-1 preamp and people have alot of good things to say about the company.. Plus their silly affordable.

Im looking for any advice for some of you Emotiva owners out there and any of your opinions on the best sounding preamp.

At this time Emotiva only sells one 2-channel preamp the USP-1. Word is that their "next generation" 2-channel preamp the XSP-1 will be shipping in May of this year.

At one point in time I owned an Emotiva USP-1, a Yamaha CX-1000, and a McIntosh C32. Of them sound wise I found the Emotiva to be the most neutral. Don't get me wrong here all 3 were GREAT preamps. The Yamaha had the best phono section and a nice DAC built in. The C32 just had that signature "McIntosh" smoothness that's hard to beat. The USP-1 was a very clean, very quiet "no nonsense" preamp. I especially liked the analog bass management and subwoofer output(s) on the USP-1. Truth is I could have happily lived with any of the 3.

Were I shopping 2-channel preamps right now I think I would wait on the XSP-1. If it lives up to the early "hype" it'll be VERY capable and a GREAT value.

If you're needing something right away call Emotiva and ask about "B-Stock" USP-1s. If they have any available you'll get a nice discount off of regular price.