Small room: Klipsch HD 1000 or RB81+RC62+RS52+SUB?

Edward11

Hello everyone, I'm new to the Klipsch Community and I'm very happy to have you all with me to discuss the Klipsch!

Here is my situation: My room is very small" 10*12feet and there are some bookshelves in this room. I just use my computer to watch movies(70%), listen to the music(20%) and play pc games(10%). Now I want to buy the Klipsch 5.1 speakers to have a better feel.

I'm interested in the HD 1000 system. They are satellits with a sub. And I am also interested in the more expensive RB81 II system(RB81+RC62+RS52+sub). I'm not sure which will perform better because my room is really small. I am worried that the sound field will be wierd if I use the RB81 system, which will lead a worse feel compared to the cheaper HD 1000 system. But I do not want to regret because I don't want to upgrade this system again.

So could you give me some suggestions? especially those who have listened to these 2 systems? Many thanks!

These are two very different systems. The RB 81 system is the better system, but is the cost to performance benefit worth the extra money? I have an HD 500 system that I like as much as my tower system. It has great clarity, SQ and the sub is excellent for my second HT(smaller room). I like the small footprint of the satellite system.

Thank you very much Derrick. Since I will only use this small room to watch TV, so I do not want to have 2 systems. Could you tell me how much different they are? The sound field, the highs and the lows, how about the music? More details are appreciated. Thanks!

If you are new to HI fi audio and HT, I would suggest the HD 1000. You should be very happy with the HD 1000 sound and ability to play like a much larger system. I had my HD 500 in a large family room a thought it was great for HT and music. The room was 20X19 with over 9 ft. ceiling. Most of the people on this forum use large speakers, but there is a place for the satellite systems. The RB 81's are very large bookshelf speakers and most likely overkill. They will need a little room for proper setup. The HD setup looks very cool.

Hi Derrick, thank you for the detailed explanation. Since you mentioned "the RB81 are most likely overkill", will the sound became worse compared to HD 500 or 1000 due to the limited space? How about I changed it to RB61 or RB51? Please let me know what you think!

If it were me, I would go with RB-51IIs, RC-52II, and a pair of RS-42IIs with a small sub, especially since you don't want to have to upgrade down the road. This would not be overkill for that size room and would have much more weight and presence than the HD1000. The reference series just has a more pronounced and more powerfull sound which is what you want for home theater.

Hello everyone, I'm new to the Klipsch Community and I'm very happy to have you all with me to discuss the Klipsch!

Here is my situation: My room is very small" 10*12feet and there are some bookshelves in this room. I just use my computer to watch movies(70%), listen to the music(20%) and play pc games(10%). Now I want to buy the Klipsch 5.1 speakers to have a better feel.

I'm interested in the HD 1000 system. They are satellits with a sub. And I am also interested in the more expensive RB81 II system(RB81+RC62+RS52+sub). I'm not sure which will perform better because my room is really small. I am worried that the sound field will be wierd if I use the RB81 system, which will lead a worse feel compared to the cheaper HD 1000 system. But I do not want to regret because I don't want to upgrade this system again.

So could you give me some suggestions? especially those who have listened to these 2 systems? Many thanks!

Welcome!

As said above these 2 systems are very very different. The HD systems are really designed, in my opinion, to be an all in 1 setup that eliminates the guess work for those who dont know much about home theater and is small in size so that it should fit in almost anyones home and work off of any receiver well.

The rb-81 setup is a very capable system and could be considered overkill in capability. Being overkill in capability isnt a bad thing because it sucks when you hear the limitations of your audio setup. I had my rb-5's (the old version of the rb-81's) in my bedroom which is about a 10x10 and they sounded great in there. The good thing is that you flush mount the speaker to the wall because the rb-81's are front ported whereas i cant because my rb-5's are rear ported. Another benefit of the rb-81 setup will be soundstage size which should blow away the sound size of the hd1000.

Another important aspect of all of this that you need to take into consideration is where your listening position will be.

I would also consider the rb-61 system as well.

Whats your budget for everything? Do you have a receiver or a prepro/amp combo?

Being overkill in capability isnt a bad thing because it sucks when you hear the limitations of your audio setup.

Hi SuBXeRo, thanks for the details. But what do you mean the "you hear the limitations of your audio setup"? Will the rb-81 sound worse than the rb-61 due to my limited room?

I am considering have a Denon 4311 as my receiver and my budget is $4,000.

i wanted to also say, they have discontinued the hd1000 per klipschs website. If you can get it still for someone that has it in stock then thats a different story. Personally, i think the lower line of klipsch subs arent worth the materials they are made of while the larger ones are good and work well but not worth the money as you can get comparably priced subs that offer better performance.

If you were to get the RB-61 II i would also get the RC-62 II center. I would also get your front stage all at one time to ensure you get the proper matching pieces. As for the rears you have a choice between dedicated surrounds or bookshelf speakers. It really depends on your seating configuration. For the most part, a dedicated pair if surrounds is the most versatile for placement IMO because bookshelves are direct radiating and that makes placement difficult because alot of times you dont have much or any room at all behind your seating area. For the surrounds you could get away with the rs-42 II's or the rs-52 II's, the rs-52 II's would match great.

As for a subwoofer, there are so many brands for you to explore and they come in all shapes and sizes. A lot of us also do dual subwoofers to even out room response as well as adding more bass. Keep in mind that you can get some big *** subs and just tune the gain down low so you dont get blown out of your seat but still get that sonic depth that smaller subs just cant reach. Check out www.svsound.com www.emotiva.com www.hsuresearch.com www.rythmikaudio.com www.elementaldesigns.com www.outlawaudio.com as these brands all offer subs as well as other audio components. Personally, i have taken quite well to my downfiring HSU sub for my computer and downfiring in general. I have 2 sealed front firing emotiva subs and they are great subs for the price i paid for them but i had been looking into the svsound downfiring cylinder subs. In theory they are all supposed to produce the same omnidirectional bass waves but i have found that downfiring seems to be the most omnidirectional sounding and can make placement a bit more versatile. This is just my experiences and others definitly have differing opinions and can argue the point all day.

Thank you themrclean, I'm sure the RB-61 II will be an awesome system in my room. Now I will take this system into consideration over the HD1000.

But for the front speakers, I learned that the bigger, the better. In my situation, in my room bedroon, will the RB 81II sound worse than the RB61 II (We can take everything into account, like the sound field may be strange, in a small volume the 81 may be worse than 61)?

What i mean by limitation is when you peak the abilities of the speaker and you start to hear distortion or the drivers bottoming out. The rb-81's have a higher performance threshold volume wise while maintaining a larger frequency range.

Lets compare the hd 1000 to the rb-81 I's. The frequency range of the HD 1000 setup is down to around 35hz but that is with a subwoofer. The RB-81 II's have a low frequency extension down in the 40hz region without a subwoofer. The sattelites on the hd1000 setup most likely need to be crossed over at the 90-120hz region where the subwoofer will do work from that frequency on downward. When your sub works at frequencies that high it becomes more localedized and you begin to tell where the sound is eminating from. Subwoofers are supposed to be more omndirectional like i noted in my previous post but his only happens when you sub is working from 60hz on downward (atleast from what i have noticed in my tests. I used to have mine crossed at 80hz but put it down to 60hz and noticed that they have blended in much more and are way more delocalized).

The rb-81's should sound equal to or better than the rb-61's in your room barring the individual sound characteristics of the speakers themselves. The acoustics of your room will also play a part in how things sound too. The rb-81 isnt much bigger than the rb-61 as they both have the same depth and the 81 is just a bit wider and taller.

4000 is a formidable budget for this project. if you are in the US, go to acousticsounddesign.com, i believe alot of people here have gotten some good deals from them so you may want t give them a call and see if they can cut you a deal. That receiver you are looking at is expensive and you could actually look into a seaparate amp and processor at that price. You could probably save some money but getting a cheaper receiver unless that receiver does something super special that you cant get in any other models. I dont know what price you were looking at but i was seeing around $2000 for it.

I second everything that subxero said. I suggested the 61s only to be a cheaper option. That was before I saw your budget. If you are able to spend that much, I say RB-81IIs, RC-62II, and RS-52IIs with any of the subs that subxero mentioned. If you had that system in that size room, along with a good receiver and some fine tuning, you would have an awesome sound that you would never need to upgrade.

You are definately an expert! I forgot to mention my seating configuration. As my triangular computer desk is at the corner of my 10*10 room, th1?e 2 front speakers both are about 2 feet away from me. And my surrond speakers are 6 feet from me.

So you think the rb81 will be better than the rb61? Then I'll purchase the 81!

For the receiver, I am not sure whether to go with an Denon one or Onkyo one. I leanrt the Denon is good at the frequency range while the Onkyo is good at music. I am wondering whether the Denon will be too harsh to me in my small room. Do you have some suggestions? Thanks!

If you were to get the RB-61 II i would also get the RC-62 II center. I would also get your front stage all at one time to ensure you get the proper matching pieces.

Expert SuBXeRo, I noticed you suggest me to get my front stage at one matching series. I will use the RC-62 II center. But if I get the RB81, will there be an "unmatching" issue? Will 61 be a better choice in this issue? I have too many questions, because these are expensive and I really do not want to regret. Many thanks!

The 81s will be timbre matched with the 62 and you will have no issue with them matching. As far as receivers, I own an Onkyo and it does a great job for movies but not so great for music. If you plan on listening to a lot of music with this system, I would suggest the Denon. the Denon will also be less harsh than the Onkyo as it has a warmer sound.

You are definately an expert! I forgot to mention my seating configuration. As my triangular computer desk is at the corner of my 10*10 room, th1?e 2 front speakers both are about 2 feet away from me. And my surrond speakers are 6 feet from me.

So you think the rb81 will be better than the rb61? Then I'll purchase the 81!

For the receiver, I am not sure whether to go with an Denon one or Onkyo one. I leanrt the Denon is good at the frequency range while the Onkyo is good at music. I am wondering whether the Denon will be too harsh to me in my small room. Do you have some suggestions? Thanks!

if you are going to be sitting at your desk and watching and listening from 2 feet away, you are in near field listening territory In a case like this, having had my RB-5's as left and right channels on my computer as well, they are just to big and extremely hard to place and get to sound good. The downside with klipsch speakers is that alot of them are rather directive at close ranges. Lines like the ICON X and W use a different type of horn and have a better dispersion than the typical klipsch horn. This is one of the reasons why i have a pair of WB-14's flanking my computer monitor now instead of the RB-5's. The wb-14's are also a smaller speaker with a pretty big and robust sound for their size and have excellent sound dispersion.

If this is your case, we need to reevaluate what path you should take so that you get a good sounding system. The HD1000 is a very good contender for a setup like this. Newegg also still have some ICON W in stock which you would want to look at a the wb-14's, wc-24 and ws-24.

Gotta go food shopping, ill add more and apicture in a few hours